Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #11
Bus Geek
Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Adding Under-Belly Storage

Originally Posted by dabauer1701e
I saw a website where the guy scavenged old bed frames, cut up the angle-iron and welded the sections together to form everything from storage compartments to frames to hold his water tanks. The steel that those frames are made of is pretty heavy stuff. Here's a link to the site...
Jake happens to be a member here though I haven't seen him post in a long time. I use angle iron derived from bedframes for EVERYTHING. My battery tray, for example, is built from them. My tractornator was built from an old lawn tractor, a GM alternator, some misc. wire, some hand tools, a grinder, a welder, and bed frames. It isn't pretty, but that stuff works. The only issue I've had with it is that it really is a bear to drill. I'm thinking it must have a higher carbon content than your average mild steel angle iron.
Skooling state at a time...
the_experience03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #12
Year: 1980
Coachwork: Gillig 1980
Chassis: 636
Engine: Cat 3208 NA
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Adding Under-Belly Storage

Those job boxes look like normal pick-up truck tool boxes. Having had a few of those, in general they don't all have the greatest, most durable latching mechanisms, since they're made to open from the top. Under a skoolie, it'll open to the side. Don't want gear inside bouncing around causing it to open on the road. Also they're usually ribbed on the base for strength and support, not the side, which will now be the base. I think the cheaper ones may distort. There's a HUGE variance in quality in these boxes, and I don't think all will hold up the same in your application. Make sure they're supported O.K. Maybe some all-thread down thru all 4 corners bolted to 2 angle irons along the length? Also, watch how the lid opens- most will need extra clearance for the lid when opened. Check this out BEFORE you bolt it up!!!! I've mounted at least one too close to the front of the truck bed, and sure enough, didn't open.

A truck wrecking yard may have real truck boxes, which were made for exactly the application.
If it isn't grown, it has to be mined
elkoskoolie is offline   Reply With Quote