Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: IHC
Engine: 9.0
Rated Cap: 76
adjusting the governer

I have an idea the the school dist. set the accelerator to hit the floor at 55 mph and I am at about 2200-2300 rpm then shen gets punched in the guts an hills any tips are appriciated

Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Re: adjusting the governer

On my IHC the governor is built into the Holly carb, do you know what type you have?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #3

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Custom Coaches
Chassis: Bedford
Engine: International 392

By way of introduction, I'll just mention that I'm an engineer and a mechanic and I'm in Australia.

I don't know if your system is the same as mine. Mine's a 1977 392 with AT-540 and the governor is purely vacuum operated.

I disassembled the Holley from my 392 today, with the intention of adapting an OHG brand LPG (propane) mixer onto the throttlebody, and re-mounting the governor onto it.

After looking at how it works, it appears to me that the system is as follows:

The control for the governor is a centrifugal device in the distributor below the ignition section. It is effectively a vacuum on-off switch that turns on its output at governor RPM.
A vacuum hose goes from the middle of the left (as in left when facing forwards in the bus) side of the carb forward to the distributor to supply vacuum.
A vacuum output hose comes from the distributor back to the vacuum diaphrams on the carby that actually close the throttle, with a bleed back into the carb.

After pulling it apart, I'm pretty convinced that if you blocked either vacuum hose and changed nothing else, you'd completely disable the governor and everything else would still work.

I'm also pretty certain that there is a ring clamped around the governor section of the distributor that sets the governor speed. I'm not sure yet but I think that if it was loosened and rotated around the distributor and re-tightened, it would alter the governor setting. I haven't cleaned it to see if there are any markings on it.

I intend to chase up info on this from my local International/Iveco dealership. I think they'll help me as I do work for them.

I actually came here looking for info on what the correct governor speed is supposed to be. I thought that the governor was supposed to be set to something like 3200 to 3500RPM on an auto because the AT-540 and similar model gearboxes didn't like any more revs than that, but I was looking at an owners manual tonight that quotes HP at 4000RPM!

If it turns out that the governor isn't needed to protect the gearbox from over-revving, I won't bother refitting it.

Athol
Athol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I know the redline on the 345 is supposed to be 3800 but I rev it to 4000 (puts me at about 75 mph) all the time I am told that the valves start to float if you get up to 5000 rpm it should be the same for all the 304/345/392 engines.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #5

Year: 1977
Coachwork: Custom Coaches
Chassis: Bedford
Engine: International 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I know the redline on the 345 is supposed to be 3800 but I rev it to 4000 (puts me at about 75 mph) all the time I am told that the valves start to float if you get up to 5000 rpm it should be the same for all the 304/345/392 engines.
As I said, my concern was whether the auto gearbox might be damaged by the revs but if yours is okay at 4000 then I guess there isn't a problem. Saves me having to get some tig welding done to refit the governor. I'll just convert it to mechanical secondaries and direct link the throttle to eliminate the governor entirely.

Athol
Athol is offline   Reply With Quote