Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #1

advice for first bus please!

Hi, im new to everything school bus related and am currently in the process of finding the right bus for me, I want to live year round in the mountains. I might have found a doable option but feel the price is to steep. It is a 2001 T444e with an Allison 3060 and 170,000 miles on it for 6000$, the body is in nearly perfect condition and its has been taken care of by a mechanic ever since it left the bus barn. With all that being said I still feel like the general price range for the T444e is somewhere around 3,000-4,000$ and I would be overpaying by a few grand if I went with this choice but my issues is that I am having a hard time finding many good school bus options in Oregon, they seem to go so fast and im pressed for time to find a bus sooner rather than later. Any help or advice would be great, thank you.

busconversion101` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Pressed for time? Pay the man.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
That's what happens when pressed for time, you end up paying double to get the same bus from a dealer that doubles the price when they get it on the lot. There are some advantages to buying from a dealer but I'm not sure IMHO if they are worth the extra dollars. I have found Oregon has an abundance of good deals and would have bought several I looked at had they not been so far away.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by busconversion101` View Post
Hi, im new to everything school bus related and am currently in the process of finding the right bus for me, I want to live year round in the mountains. I might have found a doable option but feel the price is to steep. It is a 2001 T444e with an Allison 3060 and 170,000 miles on it for 6000$, the body is in nearly perfect condition and its has been taken care of by a mechanic ever since it left the bus barn. With all that being said I still feel like the general price range for the T444e is somewhere around 3,000-4,000$ and I would be overpaying by a few grand if I went with this choice but my issues is that I am having a hard time finding many good school bus options in Oregon, they seem to go so fast and im pressed for time to find a bus sooner rather than later. Any help or advice would be great, thank you.
Show up with cash and make a reasonable offer, then be willing to walk away. Or, just pay the man...
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Dear '101 - glad you're here! You've found a treasure-trove of information and helpful folks.

Word to the wise (trying to keep you from making the classic noob mistakes... that I've made...): most of the questions you might come up with have already been answered, sometimes multiple times. Your question here is the exception to that general rule: you had a specific question that needed a specific answer. The big problem is when someone has a "what type of bus should I get" question or the like, or has a painfully common question that could have been found by searching the forum.

PRO TIP: the 'search' box at the top of the page doesn't work very well. Instead, use Google, and after you type your question, add "site:www.skoolie.net". You'll get just this site's gold, and a goodly portion!

And read the stickies: they have lots of good help for the new guy.

Oh - and if you can wait until late fall, I will be in Moscow, Idaho with a bus for sale. I'll be using it for moving, and it will be gutted but little else done to it.

Again - glad you're here!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post

PRO TIP: the 'search' box at the top of the page doesn't work very well. Instead, use Google, and after you type your question, add "site:www.skoolie.net". You'll get just this site's gold, and a goodly portion!
You no longer have to do this.

The new Google Search at the top of the page does it for you.

Just type your search term into the box and leave "skoolie" checked.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Dapplecreek, are you going to be a Vandal?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
A wee bit of patience should land you a fantastic bus for a much more reasonable price. You're in BUS COUNTRY, man.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote