Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #11
Bus Nut

The P pump is desirable to the people that want to hotrod the 5.9 over 300HP bause the internals can be changed to meter more fuel, the VE rotary pump is a good pump up to 275Hp and can be turned an inexpensive fuel plate and adjustments. Both pumps are an excellent choice for the stock factory power ratings of 5.9 engine as installed in the skoolie's power matched driveline.

Translate the above to read, their is a lot more power to be had from the Cummins B5.9 engine, at some point the reliability of the related components becomes questionable at best, engine power will exceed the transmissions rated capacity, fix that and then the U-joints or axle become the weak link. If you push the power up farther engine life starts to suffer, it"s a viscious circle.

Take your stock engineered, power balanced driveline, and leave it stock or possibly chance the rear axle ratio to enhance your highway cruising speed. don't forget to change the speedometer drive gear to match the gear ratio change in the rear axle.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Hi Boojiewoojie,

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you! And maybe lots of hands to help (or get in the way ). I'd say the low roof is the only detraction to my otherwise fine bus and I'll fix that now that our our own crazy...er, outstanding...Elliott has blazed the path. I'm going to raise my roof 12" which will give me room for a 4" floor depth (2x4 joists) and room for the inside portion of a roof air unit still leaving 6'6" of actual headroom.

Is this the Thomas that was on eBay in West Virginia? Just curious. If so, that would expain the lower rear-end gearing with the non-turbo'd engine.

The only "advice" I would give you (please remember it's free!) is to not go to pick up the bus knowing that you have to drive it home. Be prepared to leave it right where it sits if the red flags go up. Yes, it would be a bummer to drive that far and not bring it home but not as much as a bummer if it eats you alive in repairs. There's no reason I can think of that it won't be a good one based on your information but don't completely pre-sell yourself just in case. If you do have to leave without it you'll have learned a lot in the process and be more ready for the next opportunity so the trip won't be wasted no matter what. But, here's hoping all goes well!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81
Les, yes, this is the one in WV. The head mechanic here said he thinks the non-turbo is actually not a bad idea- fewer things to go wrong and when they had some 3208's back in the 80's he said the difference between the two was not that big a deal.
Yes, I'm determined not to force myself to come home w/ something I'm not gonna be happy with.
The way Elliot raised the roof is certainly inspiring! My hat's off to all you roof-raisers out there!!
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Bus Nut

The weather is finally getting to be something I can (or will) work in so this weekend I hope to make some progress; the bus has been sitting for the last 3 weeks or so with nothing happening (but I'm a weather wimp).

I should be prepped to start the roof raise shortly since all I really have left to do is go buy the proper insert pieces, remove all the windows and make the body cuts. After that it's just cutting each frame (upright) and up she goes...using the Great Eliottski method...it's a winner for sure.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 02-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
Bus Nut

ELLIOTSKI, ELLIOTSLI !!! I must say, it IS impressive.... Maybe he'll rent out his jacks for say.... oh I dunno... postage with a refundable deposit for the original price of the jacks or something like that ?? Hmmmmm ?? Inquiring minds want to know....
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog12
ELLIOTSKI, ELLIOTSLI !!! I must say, it IS impressive.... Maybe he'll rent out his jacks for say.... oh I dunno... postage with a refundable deposit for the original price of the jacks or something like that ?? Hmmmmm ?? Inquiring minds want to know....
I thought about hitting Elliot up for his units but I came to the conclusion that unless you have exactly the same bus they won't work as built due to the differences in bracketry. But the idea is so simple and transportable that it's sublime!

It really comes down to basics...four square or rectangular tube sections bolted to the body inside or to the lower to-remain-in-place portion of the window posts (frames) to make the guides, four square or rectangular tube sections that will slide through the guides and that attach in some way to the roof, and four lifting devices. That's it.

I'm taking my roof up 12" so I'm going to bolt guides on the inside of the bus wall. I'll drop the lifting tubes down through them and bolt the top of the lift tube to a frame of the bus roof. At this point in time I believe I'll use scissor jacks under the heel of each lifting tube as they'll be easy to adjust and can't "slip" (a bottle jack would work but I find letting it down "just a hair" to be a so-so thing) and they'll lift 12" quite easily.

I think Elliot said the tractor jacks he got were around $30 or so but I think shipping each one would cost at least that. He also told me they were total overkill and that something much smaller would do a great job.

The brackets he welded to the top of his jacks were to keep the jacks upright not the roof going up straight (the guides do that job) so if you're not using really tall jacks as he did you can eliminate that bit. A (say) approximately 2" square tube end resting in the middle of a scissor jack pad (with the jack on a flat level surface) has all the stability it needs.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Old 02-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Yup.

After we get a couple more of these roof lifts done, maybe between three or four of us,
we can put together a decent "sticky" for the Tutorial section.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
Skoolie

I would love to raise mine as well...but then I stand 6 foot 3, more if I stand up straight :P and when you live in a land of short people I seldom do.
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
...I seldom do.
That's a shame. At least your bus should be a sanctuary where you can stand up!
Let's all brainstorm on this. Maybe we can come up with a recipe that anybody
can use.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #20
Skoolie

even if I had the head room..theres the short counters (wifes only 5 foot 1), and I'm hopeing that when you come up to help Les I can get over there to help, or just watch... I should be out there in the next month and start working on mine again
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote