Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Re: Air Bag Suspension Installation

Ride Height Control Valve:

pretty easy to install. The dangly part connects to the axle and needs to have the ability to be adjusted. This is how you set the ride height/level the bus.

The main part of the valve needs to be mounted to a bracket off of the frame so it doesn't move. I agree with the above poster that going to the dealership and looking at a couple of setups will make it make much more sense.

If you have air ride just for the rear axle, You can use a single valve to control just the ride height....or you can use two valves and control the ride height and level the bus Right/Left. If you have air ride suspension on the front and the rear, 4 ride height valves are best for full air ride in my expierence.

the valves are pretty cool...it takes several seconds once a valve is actuated before air begins to move. this is to prevent the system from going mental when you are on a bumpy road.

I did read on a coach bus site where a guy removes the auto leveling valves/system and just fills the air bags to a certian pressure with a schrader valve. He claims air bags are like tires and don't really leak. He does this because ride height control valves waste a ton of air.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

This is probably what you read...

Tip on building a air leveling system.

Material that you need - four 3/8 ball valves two 3/8 Ts four 3/8 90% street Ls, four 3/8 short connectors, two small air regulators and 25 feet of ľ inch o.d. tubing.

There are several combinations to put your system together, depending on were you are going to put them. One place is in the right side engine compartment and the front one in the front bin. There are other places like in a compartment on the inside of the coach. Some use plastic tubing to hook up, but I donít trust it. Some use small gages and four shut off valves. But the constant changing of pressure will break the diaphragm on the gages.

On most coaches that are air ride, the air will go down in a few hours with the original system. It is the leveling valves that are the big cause of leaks. When installing this system you take them off. The air bags seldom leak, they are like your tires. If your air frames are good, a leveling system on your coach will not leak. Your coach can be easily adjusted from side to side by letting air out of the high side and adding a little on the low side. With this system your coach will stay the same all the time and only go down when you have a problem. I adjust mine with my small compressor that I carry. Because you donít have to raise the coach every time you start, it only takes a few minutes to get the air up to 120 L.P.S. This is a system that everyone can make at a very modest cost.

This might be where you found it!

http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/fredhobe4.htm
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Hmmmm..... I have not been receiving notices on this thread. This happens once in a while -- don't know why.

I probably need to apologize for my rant about personal appearance. Hope you didn't take offence. I was trying to be helpful, but didn't think very far.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Oh Mr Elliot seriously no offense taken I was hoping for some more banter. It takes a lot to offend me...especially after what I take from the in-laws. I think I will go to a dealer and snoop around some new rigs when the weather gets a little warmer. Still very very cold here. My chev van has leaked all its oil dew to shrinking parts becoming unsealed and leaky in the cold! I still am not a hundred percent sure wether I should should do the whole compressor and leveling valve set up or the simple fill when needed set up. Obviously there would be some fuel mileage consequences to having the compressor kick on and off when ever it needed leveling but now that fuel is cheap again, I don't know. I am just waiting for some bloody warm weather so I can get to work. Lady Franklin is at my In-laws farm 2.5 hours away and I want to move it to where I live but I have to have a skin on, signal lights, and the suspension done before I get a permit. Patience I guess.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

I would still use a leveling valve, even if it may be possible to get away with not having one. Why short change yourself, after going thru all this trouble to install the system?

You may be able to use an electric compressor. Sure would be easier than installing a belt driven one. I once had an electric compressor that came from the air suspension on a Cadillac.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Here ya go... On Ridewell's web site, as mentioned by a previous poster:

http://www.ridewellcorp.com/Web/Site...ual%200507.pdf

Page 1, drawings 4 and 5. Shows one valve system and two valve system, respectively. Just disregard the second pair of air bags.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #17
Bus Nut

thank you Mr. Naess, or is it Elliot, for linking up the ridewell diagrams, they also have detailed install instructions.
It has been my experience that the cadillac and lincoln electric compressors do not have the duty cycle to keep up with the volume of air required to operate a pair of truck size airbags,
if you don't have air brakes and the requisite air system, I would recommend 1) retrofitting a belt driven air brake compressor, 2) a belt driven york piston type a/c compressor converted to an air compressor (install oil lines to the engine), install a pressure switch to turn the electric clutch on and off, 3) a heavy duty 12v compressor like the lowrider car setups use, 4) an "extreme air" high pressure co2 tank with a pressure regulator, any inert gas would work, nitrogen, helium argon, scuba air, etc.

DON'T USE FLAAMABLE GAS OR OXYGEN.

CO2 is probably the most widely available and cheapest to use, think draft beer and soda dispensers as well as welding supply dealers.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

You are probably right, the automobile compressors may not be up to it.

Do low riders use air? The ones I have seen used hydraulics.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM   #19
Bus Nut

the low riders that dance and jump are hydraulic, the ones that are drivers are usually air for comfort and driveability.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
2) a belt driven york piston type a/c compressor converted to an air compressor (install oil lines to the engine), install a pressure switch to turn the electric clutch on and off, 3)