Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Air brake buzzer question

I have a 91 ford b700. While looking for looking for a blown fuse, I thought I found a fuse box that had a twisty lock... well after about a minute of twisting the "lock" I pulled it and I found out that it was a buzzer of some sort ...

After looking up "buzzer b700 electrical" I ended up coming to this link : Ford Truck Low Air Pressure Buzzer E7HZ 2573 A | eBay
^
This really surprised me because I don't have air brakes

My question is are air brake buzzers equipped on all buses? Or will this be somehow connected into the hydraulic brakes??????
Attached Thumbnails
SDC14505.jpg  

CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
If you don't have air brakes its most likely an open door or window buzz box. Where was this box located inside the vehicle?
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
If you don't have air brakes its most likely an open door or window buzz box. Where was this box located inside the vehicle?
It was located under the dash, just above the engine cover inside the bus... in fact almost above the gas pedal.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Heh, that's kind of amusing. I hope you don't mind my chuckling! The piece that came out looks like a piezo transducer/sounder/buzzer/etc. I'm accustomed to seeing just two wires on them but yours has three. It probably isn't damaged, so if you want to repair the box it's likely possible with just a little bit of soldering. The wires look like they probably broke at the point where the insulation was stripped. If you open the housing and look carefully at the shape of the ends of the wires, their lengths, the way the strands broke, etc you may be able to make a good guess as to how they should match up. You'd have to figure out how to activate the buzzer in order to test the success of the repair though. The good news is that if the wires weren't matched correctly there'd probably be no permanent damage.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Heh, that's kind of amusing. I hope you don't mind my chuckling! The piece that came out looks like a piezo transducer/sounder/buzzer/etc. I'm accustomed to seeing just two wires on them but yours has three. It probably isn't damaged, so if you want to repair the box it's likely possible with just a little bit of soldering. The wires look like they probably broke at the point where the insulation was stripped. If you open the housing and look carefully at the shape of the ends of the wires, their lengths, the way the strands broke, etc you may be able to make a good guess as to how they should match up. You'd have to figure out how to activate the buzzer in order to test the success of the repair though. The good news is that if the wires weren't matched correctly there'd probably be no permanent damage.
I can see where black wire broke (in the middle of the wire), but I should have a 50/50 shot with the red and blue wire....... but since 50/50 shots usually end up with a failure rate of 90% (for me at least) I think I am going to see if I can snag one off of a bus in a local scrapyard.

PS- I don't mind if you chuckle at me, I mean I laughed at myself when I did it :')
Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I usually figure that if my alternative to repair is certain replacement, and if there's minimal risk of causing further damage by attempting to repair, then I've nothing to lose and might as well try even if it's a long shot. At worst I'll likely learn something new, and at best I'll still learn something new and also avoid the trouble and expense of finding and acquiring the replacement.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
"Good riddance to ya noisy b$@$#@!!!!"
please pardon my wicked delight at the buzzers demise muahahaahaha!

when i worked for us robotics i used to get so sick of the machine buzzers going off that i would cover em with tape and sometimes poke em out. Evil i know!

but yeah... probably useful in some already stressful annoying situation...

Good job!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
It may be a brake warning buzzer of some sort, even with hydraulic brakes. My IH has hydraulic brakes, and with the engine off (switch on), a buzzer will sound for a second when I push the brake ... at which point an electric motor comes on and provides some hydraulic assist and the buzzer stops.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote