Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Air Brake Endorsement in Ga.

So I make a second 40 mile round trip to the DDS to take my test after they were closed yesterday. Of course today they are slap full. Start asking about the AB endorsement and no one has a clue what I'm talking about. They try and tell me if it's over 26K I have to have a CDL. "On my private non commercial vehicle?" She scratches her head for a second and then asks What license to you have now. It's a Ga. Class CM. She says "what does it say you can drive with that license?"
I turn it over and it says:
Class CM-S 26000lbs GVWR and Trailer-S 10000lbs. ALL Recreational Vehicles and 2 or 3 wheeled motorcycle.

So if it's an RV there is no restriction on your license for weight or airbrakes if it's not a commercial vehicle. She did say that I should get a Class F endorsement so I could drive 26k+ in other states on my license. But doesn't this fall into reciprocity?

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I don't know what it's like in Ga but here in Ca I find it best to walk in about 30 min before closing time on a Friday afternoon, I usually walk right in & get my stuff done
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I don't know what it's like in Ga but here in Ca I find it best to walk in about 30 min before closing time on a Friday afternoon, I usually walk right in & get my stuff done
They won't let you take tests 1/2 before closing.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Rule 1: NEVER ask or volunteer information. EVER!
Rule 2: When in doubt, refer to Rule 1.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Rule 1: NEVER ask or volunteer information. EVER!
Rule 2: When in doubt, refer to Rule 1.
Sounds like a way to be ignorant your whole life.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not always, I've found in some cases I get far more done when asking for forgiveness instead of permission
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Not always, I've found in some cases I get far more done when asking for forgiveness instead of permission
In cases like these you are asking for forgiveness from your least likely candidate to give it to you, a cop wanting to bust your balls for agreeing with him. I learned a long time ago, seldom will you ever win the argument with the cop on the side of the road.
To never ask or volunteer means to never learn or educate.
Now that I know what's what, if an officer questions the weight rule I will kindly ask him to define the word "ALL" and ask how it does not apply to the one I'm driving?
Old 06-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The most you may need is a Class B non-CDL with air-brake endorsement. For a vehicle titled as an RV, this may be exempt (I have yet to check) but for any other vehicle over 26K this will cover you, with a trailer up to 10K. If you need to move a trailer over 10K, that puts you into Class A territory.

Last time I checked, for the non-CDL in GA, it only consisted of a knowledge test. No road test required (that may have changed since I last checked).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
The most you may need is a Class B non-CDL with air-brake endorsement. For a vehicle titled as an RV, this may be exempt (I have yet to check) but for any other vehicle over 26K this will cover you, with a trailer up to 10K. If you need to move a trailer over 10K, that puts you into Class A territory.

Last time I checked, for the non-CDL in GA, it only consisted of a knowledge test. No road test required (that may have changed since I last checked).
Not so, Class B required a written test and a driving test. I was ticked I was going to have to through all this BS when I knew all I needed was the 25 question air brake test. I was surprised when I learned a regular class C license is all that's needed to drive an RV in Ga., regardless of weight.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Quote:
I was in the Navy. You acquire information and knowledge, but never EVER volunteer yourself for anything. If you do, you end up in the barrel for the rest of your days. I did that once, but ended up having to recycle myself into the Army in order to get out of submarines. Even then, I refused to stick up my paw.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I was in the Navy. You acquire information and knowledge, but never EVER volunteer yourself for anything. If you do, you end up in the barrel for the rest of your days. I did that once, but ended up having to recycle myself into the Army in order to get out of submarines. Even then, I refused to stick up my paw.
Well the military is a different case than real world. My dad used to tell me stories like when you were as dinner, if there were any leftovers you had to offer it to every other person at the table first, if they wanted it you had to give it up. So sometimes food would sit there because the askers knew some dick would take it first. if they were all your buds you might get respect.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Not so, Class B required a written test and a driving test. I was ticked I was going to have to through all this BS when I knew all I needed was the 25 question air brake test. I was surprised when I learned a regular class C license is all that's needed to drive an RV in Ga., regardless of weight.

I know this is true for the CDL test. It was a long time ago when I checked on the non-CDL aspect, so it may very well have changed since then.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote