Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Air Conditioner Mounting Idea

I have just a couple concerns for you to evaluate as you think about it.

1. I presume the "exhaust" side (condenser grill) would be facing forward. If you intend to operate it while in motion that would cause a problem because the fan is designed to blow out, but wind pressure would be stronger and blowing into it.

2. The inside of window units usually separate the evaporator side (inside) from the condenser side (outside) with only about 3/4" of Styrofoam. Not even the tough rigid foam like insulation, but rather the white material like Styrofoam ice chests and packaging forms. I wonder if that would hold up against the wind forces caused by driving.

If it wouldn't be used while in motion, one solution would be to have some kind of removable cover that would go over the outside of it while in motion.

Alternatively, do the same thing as you described, but in the rear cap.

BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I have a Frigidaire window unit and a GE. I haven't had the cover off of the GE, but the Frigidaire does use white styrofoam to separate the condenser and evaporator sides. Nothing fancy, just the same sort of white styrofoam as used in packaging inserts.

Maybe the difference is whether you have a low end bargain model or a higher end model. Both of mine are the bottom of the line models.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
I have had hundreds of window shakers apart, and have NEVER seen one which used styrofoam as a divider. Insulator for the metal divider....yes, foam as divider material.....nope.

If you're merely looking in above the blower wheel, you're going to see foam......try poking a piece of coat hanger through it & see how far it goes. Most everything mounts off the dividing wall, including the evaporator coil, and alot of times the fan motor its self

Smitty
It could well be that the styrofoam in mine is sheathing a metal panel as I didn't probe it or othewise challenge it. It does make me feel better about the durability factor. Thanks for the info.