Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Orlando
Posts: 6
Year: 2008
Coachwork: International RE300
Air Pressure Gauge Not Working - Help!

Hi Everybody. I'm a newbie and am mechanically and electrically illiterate, so please pardon my ignorance. My wife and I purchased a 2008 International RE300 recently and been demoing the inside. This bus has air brakes and the door is also equipped to be opened using air pressure.

Anyways, I had to disconnect the wires (no air line) going to the door in order to remove some of the interior panels. After doing so, I was able to park the bus. A few days later I went to move the bus and it will start, but the air pressure is not building up. I can tell the compressor is working but I cannot move the bus as the parking brake won't release since the gauge is showing low air pressure.

I believe one of the wires I disconnected may have had something to do with this. The only other things I disconnected were the security cameras internally and the radio, so I'm lead to believe it must have been something on the door. Someone told me it may have been a ground wire for the air gauge.

Anybody run into something similar or know what I should do to fix this issue?
AMDenels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,181
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDenels View Post
Hi Everybody. I'm a newbie and am mechanically and electrically illiterate, so please pardon my ignorance. My wife and I purchased a 2008 International RE300 recently and been demoing the inside. This bus has air brakes and the door is also equipped to be opened using air pressure.

Anyways, I had to disconnect the wires (no air line) going to the door in order to remove some of the interior panels. After doing so, I was able to park the bus. A few days later I went to move the bus and it will start, but the air pressure is not building up. I can tell the compressor is working but I cannot move the bus as the parking brake won't release since the gauge is showing low air pressure.

I believe one of the wires I disconnected may have had something to do with this. The only other things I disconnected were the security cameras internally and the radio, so I'm lead to believe it must have been something on the door. Someone told me it may have been a ground wire for the air gauge.

Anybody run into something similar or know what I should do to fix this issue?
Got a pic of the mechanism that opens the door?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
CaptSquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 1,041
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
You have a SERIOUS air leak if the gauge is not working. By law, the air gauge has got to be a LIVE gauge, i.e., it MUST have air pressure. It is NOT electrical. When you disconnected the door and then reconnected it, you must have introduced a leak in the line. Retrace your steps.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 719
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Parking brake won't release unless you have air pressure. If it's not releasing and both air gauges read zero, more likely then not, you have no air pressure. Open one of the pitcocks on the air tanks to confirm if you have pressure or not.

The wires up by the door are for lights. Some busses will also have an air solenoid that won't let you release the parking brake unless the door is shut.

If, you're without air pressure, remove the line from the compressor and see if it's pushing any air. If it's not, see if the unloader valve on the compressor is stuck. If that's free, then you've likely broken the compressor input shaft.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,625
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
The air-door operates from the auxiliary air-tank. That tank is isolated from the primary and secondary tanks, and a leak there should have no effect on the gauge or the brakes.

Something else is going on.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 719
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Depends on the bus or body manufacturer. Most of the busses I've worked on don't have an auxiliary tank because they don't have the air demands that would necessitate having one (air ride axles, kneeling features, tag and pusher axles, etc.)

In those busses, air for the accessories comes from either the secondary tank or wet tank. Accessories such as air ride seats, stop sign arms, and air powered doors don't consume much air, so there's no need for an aux tank for that little bit.

Regardless, if his primary and secondary tanks both have 0 psi, his wet tank will have 0 psi. And, if he does have an aux tank, I'd bet money that that would have 0 psi in this situation aswell.

He needs to verify the gauges and figure out if he has air pressure. After that, we can figure out what's going on with the park brake and air door.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 14,181
Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 32
I know its probably not electrical, but is the 08's electrical system multiplexed?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,625
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Depends on the bus or body manufacturer. Most of the busses I've worked on don't have an auxiliary tank because they don't have the air demands that would necessitate having one (air ride axles, kneeling features, tag and pusher axles, etc.)

In those busses, air for the accessories comes from either the secondary tank or wet tank. Accessories such as air ride seats, stop sign arms, and air powered doors don't consume much air, so there's no need for an aux tank for that little bit.

Regardless, if his primary and secondary tanks both have 0 psi, his wet tank will have 0 psi. And, if he does have an aux tank, I'd bet money that that would have 0 psi in this situation aswell.

He needs to verify the gauges and figure out if he has air pressure. After that, we can figure out what's going on with the park brake and air door.
Yep. All that could be true as well.

I was trying to think what I had, that Thomas thought an aux tank necessary. I have an air-door, air Stop Sign and air throttle.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Orlando
Posts: 6
Year: 2008
Coachwork: International RE300
I've tried adding some pictures here but every time I do it tells me my post is too long. I tried resizing the pictures as smaller files and it still didn't work...

Anyways, I fixed it! It was just the ground wire. Once I was able to reconnect it everything worked perfectly like before. I don't totally understand what happened but I'm glad things are working. Thanks for all the help and hopefully I can figure out the pictures thing so I can show what happened.
AMDenels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 1,936
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDenels View Post
I've tried adding some pictures here but every time I do it tells me my post is too long. I tried resizing the pictures as smaller files and it still didn't work...

Anyways, I fixed it! It was just the ground wire. Once I was able to reconnect it everything worked perfectly like before. I don't totally understand what happened but I'm glad things are working. Thanks for all the help and hopefully I can figure out the pictures thing so I can show what happened.
This forum requires you have 5 post minimum before you can post pics.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.