Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas 72 passenger
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230HP DT466 engine MD3060 transmission
Air ride seat air line question?

I have a air ride seat, the air line that goes to the seat has a tee and a coupler like you would see on a compressor. Anyone know what is this coupler used for? In thinking of removing it. Thnx!

Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:24 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
If I had to guess, it's probably to connect a secondary air source to the seat.

As long as it's not leaking, I don't see any need to remove it... though of course that's your call to make.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
perhaps it was done as a way to get air inside the bus? maybe for tools to work? or easy way for the driver to clean the bus at night? open the doors and blow the dirt out with an air hose?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
perhaps it was done as a way to get air inside the bus? maybe for tools to work? or easy way for the driver to clean the bus at night? open the doors and blow the dirt out with an air hose?
-Christopher
On my last bus I add a "T" and coupler to the air seat supply in order to have an interior air source. I was not completely finished with my conversion when I went on the road so I carried tools, including air nailers etc, with me and continued as I traveled.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
air seat

After adding an air ride seat with its own line and an tire air up fitting I realized I just potentially compromised my bus breaking,
even though the line is protected it is an additional item that can leak and stop my bus, so I went back and added a T fitting to the air tank, then I added a shutoff valve to each side of the T fitting so if I get a leak I can shut the line off so my bus can still move,
Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you have air brakes you NEED to install a Protection valve right off of thr air tank.. no flexible line going to the protection valve.. take a nippled and go to the protection valve and then off to your accessories!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 12 valve 8.3L Cummins
Does anyone know what size connector goes on the air line at the seat? I believe it's a standard size. Larger than a car tire stem. I need to cap the line at the door. Thanks!
brightond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #8

Air Ride Hose

I'm also wondering this... My bus came with an air ride seat and I removed it in order to insulate the floor underneath it, but as I was removing it I cut the air hose on either end of the fitting connecting the air hose coming up from the floor and the line into the seat. I'm looking to find a fitting to reattach them but can't find where to buy such a part. Any ideas?
Perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:20 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
1/4 inch compression fitting, make sure to get the sleeve that also goes inside the line to keep it from collapsing. Don't get the kind that push together like a sharkbite water line fitting, they leak.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
My company installs a coiled air line with a trigger nozzle to blow out the interior for cleaning.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
My company installs a coiled air line with a trigger nozzle to blow out the interior for cleaning.
I'm guessing you but a T connector to have both accessible... Where do you buy that and does that increase risk of leakage? If my bus had the air ride seat from the start do you think it's plumbed into the main brake tanks or a separate compressor?
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
1/4 inch compression fitting, make sure to get the sleeve that also goes inside the line to keep it from collapsing. Don't get the kind that push together like a sharkbite water line fitting, they leak.
Thanks! Any idea where can I find these fittings?
Old 06-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perigee View Post
Thanks! Any idea where can I find these fittings?
Around here I can get them at a hardware store. This is the kind of fitting I'm talking about.

The long tube goes inside of the plastic air line. This is a splice they come in many different configurations including T's. The tube isn't always separate but you need it so the ring doesn't squash the plastic. It's good to carry a few of these splices in the sizes your bus has. Probably 1/4 and 1/2, maybe 3/8.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perigee View Post
I'm guessing you but a T connector to have both accessible... Where do you buy that and does that increase risk of leakage? If my bus had the air ride seat from the start do you think it's plumbed into the main brake tanks or a separate compressor?
It won't have a separate compressor, but possibly it's own air tank. My bus has a small tank in the front that seems to power the air seat and the air operated door. I can start the bus after it's sat overnight and the brakes function fine, but the seat and door do not work for 2-3 minutes. I do have an air leak inside of the height adjuster for the seat, so it leaks that tank down in a few hours of engine off. I would assume there is a check valve somewhere before the tank to keep the air from leaking out of the full system. I would bet my air horn is tied to that tank too, but I haven't tried that see if it doesn't function at start up.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
air line parts

air lines are used a lot in industry.... find a place that is a hose supplier for industry, food factories, and stuff .... they usually have metric and english air lines and fittings.... also truck repair shop.... frieghtliner, peterbuilt volvo places like that have these kinds of parts.

bring old fittings, or old lines with you so you know what size an type you are looking for. might save a trip or two..... suggest replacing lines instead of adding a repair splice... every splice is two places to leak

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:15 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
suggest replacing lines instead of adding a repair splice... every splice is two places to leak

william
Splices are to repair things when you're far from home
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if you have air brakes you NEED to install a Protection valve right off of thr air tank.. no flexible line going to the protection valve.. take a nippled and go to the protection valve and then off to your accessories!
-Christopher
this is actually required on air systems to protect the brakes but i dont think most here care if they lose all their air and leave skid marks on the highway
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote