Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
air ride seats...

Has anyone gone through the expense of putting in air ride seats? If all the million-mile 18 wheelers have 'em they must be good right? I've looked at a few places and the seats and bases are nearly as much or more than what I'm paying for my skoolie! Oh well. Does anyone have a source for such a monster? I think I can get seats out of a full size van pretty cheap, but for my seat and my wife's seat I'd really like an air ride. We intend to do one long trip per month to haul the kids to their respective "other" parents. It would be nice to some comfy seats to soften the ride.

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59
Re: air ride seats...

I am going to do it, I have 4 seats but only plan to use 2 of them. I am actually going to use only the bases and replace the seats with something nicer, these are kinda nasty and need recovered. the bases have swivel feature as well. I know what you mean about the price, I stumbled into these 4 seats otherwise I wouldnt be doing it. I would consider selling the extra 2 for a reasonable offer but they are very heavy meaning no shipping so I havent bothered to list them anywhere for sale. pics are on page 2 of my gallery.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Skoolie

Where are you located? I'm in Western Kansas...I'm going to pick up my bus Monday, December 21st near Dayton, OH and drive I-70 home, with a short detour in Champaign, IL. Any chance you're along my route?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

cape girardeau, mo - 2 hours south of I-70
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Skoolie

I'll send you a PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I put air ride seats in my bus... but I work for a truck dealer and had access to them. I actually got mine for free, one was brand spankin new but had been removed under waranty because of a defective lift bag and valve... I got a new lift bag and took a valve out of a worn out seat that had been replaced... The second seat was also free, someone had replaced it but there was nothing wrong other than a minor air leak. Both were tan in color which worked well with my light brown sofa & Euro Recliner...

Since the bus had air brakes, and air fed to the air powered windshield wipers, running a tube to each seat was pretty simple. I didn't really like them though, while it made the ride softer, it kept you bouncing (softly) more than the bus did. In the end, I wound up removing the air ride base from the drivers side, and putting the original seat base back in, but mounted the tan seat to that...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote