Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post
You know I have always wondered about those things. I will be sure to get my soap bottle and check hose and everything under the dash. Also, the part in the pictures is a fuel stop solenoid. Would you be able to look at the one on your crown and see if it has an obvious part number on it? Don't go through too much trouble looking for it but I would be most appreciative if you found something,

I have been able to find some universal engine stop solenoids but they are all electric and just a push button. I cant find any that are air operated for any application. I would have to turn the key off then push a button to shut the bus down. Its not that pushing a button is too much work, but I would like to keep it operating as it did from the factory and not feel like some cheap backyard fix.
a lot of busses have a separate shutdown.. mine being mechanical I turn off the key(bus stays running) and then pull a knob on the dash to kill the fuel supply...

you can easily wire an electric solenoid to your key switch to shut down the bus.. thats the way most of the newer busses work.. you would wire it into your ignition and "fire-up" circuit..(a circuit active during key 'ON' AND 'CRANKING' positions).. this would give you the factory style turn the key off and the bus shuts down operation..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevydude01 View Post
You know I have always wondered about those things. I will be sure to get my soap bottle and check hose and everything under the dash. Also, the part in the pictures is a fuel stop solenoid. Would you be able to look at the one on your crown and see if it has an obvious part number on it? Don't go through too much trouble looking for it but I would be most appreciative if you found something,

I have been able to find some universal engine stop solenoids but they are all electric and just a push button. I cant find any that are air operated for any application. I would have to turn the key off then push a button to shut the bus down. Its not that pushing a button is too much work, but I would like to keep it operating as it did from the factory and not feel like some cheap backyard fix.
I can look but I've got 8.3 Cummings, it's proably different
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
This year several people have had a problems with the electric fuel shutoff. Manual shutoff is a good thing.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I can look but I've got 8.3 Cummings, it's proably different

Sorry, couldn't resist... You've been here long enough to know!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

I may be mistaken but I think that air shut off valve is either from Williams or it is a stock Detroit Diesel part.

I know my MCI with an 8V-71 had almost the save air operated fuel shut off valve.

Brake Systems Inc. - Product Lines
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
For whatever reason, the fuel shut-off solenoid on many brands (including Cummins) has a long history of causing lots of problems. And being typically hard to find on the road as well as expensive...I removed mine (which was working fine at the time) and am in the process of installing a simple, mechanical push-pull rod to turn the fuel flow on & off.

I like simple.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
For whatever reason, the fuel shut-off solenoid on many brands (including Cummins) has a long history of causing lots of problems. And being typically hard to find on the road as well as expensive...I removed mine (which was working fine at the time) and am in the process of installing a simple, mechanical push-pull rod to turn the fuel flow on & off.

I like simple.
my bus came with the manual shut-off.. and while I may modernize parts of the bus.. that aint one of them...

grew up with Diesel International Scouts that had EXACTLY the same knob on the dash.. (funny how international used the SAME KNOB) even...

my bus doesnt even have glow plugs.. (how it will start in winter remains to be seen)..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
I can understand using the same pull handle for a fuel shutoff in internationals. I can even understand why the Ford cutaway has a Taurus dashboard.

I don't understand why by '97 Bluebird has an S-10 dashboard. Lots more gauges of course, but I'm not seeing the relationship.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sadly, these days "Modernize" typically translates as...

"Complicate in such a way as to force owners into coming to the dealer for outrageously priced, crappy Chinese parts and inflated $100.00 an hour service charges".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist... You've been here long enough to know!
It's auto correct damit
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote