Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

All position vs. position specific tires?

In the market for tires trying to get the opinions of people who have replaced their tires and had to choose between all position tires or steer/drive tires. Im curious if there is a noticeable difference between them in ride comfort mileage or otherwise.

Basically
Whatcha got? Do you like it? Why?

Im beginning my project and tires are #1 as mine are all dry rotted. Most of my driving will be in FL but I might have cross country aspirations so I don't want to be limited by the tire I buy.

Im leaning toward all position for the cost difference, anyone have a argument against?

87mackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
I have no frame of reference. My bus has all position tires, and the last box truck I drove regularly also had ap tires. Can't say i ever felt either one of them weren't handling well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if i replaced 6 at once, i would get steers and drives if it saved a few bucks. right now, i, just swap in 2 new steers and rotate them back. so i run all position,
Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Unless you plan on doing a lot of driving where you will need extra traction I would go with a very unaggressive all position tire. The AP tires ride smoother and make a whole lot less noise while going down the road.

Any time the roads get the least bit slick on the mountain highways here in WA, OR, and CA the traction devices required sign goes up. That means that any vehicle over 10,000 GVW must put on traction chains. My logic says that if you are going to have to put on chains why put up with the howl of the traction tires the other 90% of the time.

If you plan on going on a lot of beaches or off pavement then go with an aggressive traction tire in the rear.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
One good argument for all position tires on any dually...you always have two spares that can go on front if needed.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I wouldn't make it down the sandy "roads" and fields/pastures I drive my buses through without the fairly aggressive grip on my rears.
I think they're the main reason I can park anywhere, and even after several hard rains my buses just drive right on out like they aren't sunken 3 inches into the ground.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:10 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds good, no major objections it sounds like. I found some all position double coin's on amazon (of all places) for 300 ea including shipping. I know they're Chinese (que the anti chinese tire association!) But for the price, and how little they are likely to be used im ok with it!

Thanks to everyone for their input
Old 07-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87mackd View Post
Sounds good, no major objections it sounds like. I found some all position double coin's on amazon (of all places) for 300 ea including shipping. I know they're Chinese (que the anti chinese tire association!) But for the price, and how little they are likely to be used im ok with it!

Dude chinese all positions are like $250 INSTALLED here. All day.
Wait- You're IN Florida? what part?
Apopka has a tire place you can get em cheap.

Check out this CL ad from Orlando
https://orlando.craigslist.org/hvo/d...234815148.html
Quote:
I have 11r22.5 I have 11r24.5 an Lp. all tires are new 205$ per tire on 22.5s
we carry value brands and name brands car tires pick up give is a call

For 300 each plus installation you may as well go to a tire shop and buy name brand.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:

I would avoid cheap, no-name Chinese tires. Having a blowout is likely to cause damage to your bus, not to mention the possible loss of control if it's a steer tire. Spending an extra $50 or so per tire for a reputable name brand is good insurance that they'll be much less likely to blowout, not to mention probably last longer.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks CB I haven't pulled the trigger yet, that's deff worth a look. I live about 30 min south of Daytona so that's just east of me.

Ill give him/them a call tomorrow and see what they have. If an extra $50 could buy me a better tire I'm game. Not thrilled about buying the cheepo's but when tires cost more than what you paid for the bus... its hard.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Also my wheels are the spoke type, so i'm going to try and install them on my own.. key word is try. I 2 pretty long crowbars I think I can get the bead off the rim. And i've inflated flat tires before with carb cleaner and a lighter!

Has anyone tried those "balance beads" I just heard about them. Apparently they are used regularly in the truckin world to continually keep your tires balanced. They are based off weight depending on the size of your tire. Assuming I can do the rest myself, this would be another step to keep me from having to get them professionally installed.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
I remember an old TV commercial (Michelin, I think it was) that had a saying "Your tires are the only safety feature on the road - that actually touch the road." Their point was your tires are the last thing you want to skimp on, and I am inclined to agree.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Cheap, no name Chinese tires aren't a problem. Don't buy the hype. I can name plenty of school districts and contractors that run Chinese tires.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I get it, it seems to come down to individual needs. I'm sure people use their bus's a lot more than I plan on using mine so I get why people can be a bit specific about their tires.

Reality is I may never put 10k on a set of tires so no point in buying the high dolla ones
Old 07-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Basically
Whatcha got? Do you like it? Why?

Im beginning my project

Im leaning toward all position for the cost difference, anyone have a argument against?
My first advice is, don't buy tires until you really need them. If you are not planning on traveling far, or for long distance to get them heated up, wait!
Plan on only about 7years on date code. If you are in the beginning of your build, 7 years seems to go by quick. Just ask me how I know. I'm on year five since putting tires on, and already thinking of my next set. Even though mine still look like new.

If you really are ready for tires, here is my experience. For the line trucks at my work, we always put on name brand tires. Firestone, Goodyears, Michelin. I don't want to take anything away from them. On my own bus, price dictated alot. For a vehicle that only sees 3-4000 miles a year I knew I would never wear out a set of 11r 22.5 tires. Age will kill them first. So I went with Samson front steers (equal in both steers). I really hate to admit it, and won't to work, that they have been better then the last two sets of Michelin's put on a Line truck. They ride great and are alot more true to round, then the Michelin's we had to replace for being out of round. Since those two bad "new tires" we have put on Firestones with good results. My next set of steers will probably be Samson's again. I did retreads on the rear. I will not promote them. I did loose a cap on one, but felt it coming before it did much damage. At $200 mounted, retreads are cheap. I'm still thinking about what I will use again on the drives. My favorite pattern is the old Goodyear 164's, Quiet and fairly aggressive, but were way out of my price range for the bus. I like a more aggressive pattern like Eastcoast on the drives. But I also like to go places off pavement. If it never left pavement, I would do All positions for sure. Makes alot of sense to use them. I haven't looked into it yet, but if Samson makes a decent aggresive drive tire, that is reasonably priced, I will give it some serious thought on my next tire too.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:33 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks CB I haven't pulled the trigger yet, that's deff worth a look. I live about 30 min south of Daytona so that's just east of me.

Ill give him/them a call tomorrow and see what they have. If an extra $50 could buy me a better tire I'm game. Not thrilled about buying the cheepo's but when tires cost more than what you paid for the bus... its hard.
Chinese tires aren't so bad. I'll be buying a set next year.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
So far I'm a fan of the cheapo rubber I purchased this spring. The tires are made out of 100% Chinesium and are running true and smooth. Well, the front ones are anyhow. I haven't mounted the rear tires yet.
I grabbed Sailun tires all the way around. 2 steer tires and 4 aggressive drives.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #18
Bus Geek

This guy's been around for a while, and I think he'd do a full set of double coins mounted for $1500. https://orlando.craigslist.org/ptd/d...215340982.html
Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Chinesium haha ima steal that. Thanks again CB those are 2 solid leads I will definitely be buying from at least one of them.

Ive also heard good things about the samson tires

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 07-29-2017, 11:55 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Chinesium haha ima steal that. Thanks again CB those are 2 solid leads I will definitely be buying from at least one of them.

Ive also heard good things about the samson tires

Thanks everyone for your input!
Haha. I can't take credit for coining it, unfortunately. Check out AvE (arduinovsevil) on Youtube.. That guy is hilarious. Best tool reviews on the 'net too..