Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Detroit Motors 8.2
almost there with the floor

I can't believe its almost been a year since I painted my bus and started work on the floor. I really didn't know what I wanted to do with the floor. paint. epoxy. wood, tile etc. finally got it started because someone was nice enough to put into detail a way to paint the galv floors on my bus.
today I am going to remove the ospho off the bus floor and wash it down again and get it ready for my rust oleum primer then flat black top coat after that (24hr wait period)
my neighbor came by to see what I was doing and he gave me a great idea on using ROOFING CEMENT on top of the paint and inbetween the plywood and floor.

it seems like a good idea to me. what do the experts think. It seals the cracks and water proofs the bottom and will act as a sound barrier from road noise.
my concern is the smell and the fact that it never really hardens ( or does it?) the product i am, looking at is called Black jack all weather roof cement.
what u guys think?

butcher_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: almost there with the floor

Don't know about Black Jack but the Snow Roof brand elastometric roof coating does dry hard.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: almost there with the floor

Many years ago I used roofing cement (I'm sure it was identical to Black Jack, just a different brand) to seal an old VW bug from the outside and inside. It did eventually dry. I don't remember how long the stink lasted, but it eventually went away. But I did not sandwich it between metal and wood. I think I put paper or cardboard or something like that on top and then carpet. The problem with a coating like that is that if any water/moisture sneaks in it will be trapped and rust out the metal in that area. A bus has a lot of surface area to be coated, which means a lot of tar. That may stink quite a bit. I personally would not go that route. Once you put that stuff on there is no turning back!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote