Old 05-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81
Was thinking about your search this morning while running my routes.... It may be worth your while to negotiate on those buses in AZ. They have high hours on them but they come from a school district with their own maintenance department so they're probably well taken care of. And being on a heavy duty chassis they probably have many more miles left in them.

The main reason I was thinking they may be worth looking at some more: NO rust. It would be great to build a conversion on a platform that has no rust. Especially if it's going to be sitting unused for most of the year.

Like Cowlitzcouch was saying: Make a ridiculous but serious offer on it. They are too old for contractors in the U.S. to be interested in them so the only market for them is probably export and people looking to convert them.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #72
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's why I try to tell folks to skip putting the money in ANY dealers hands and put that money into a nice bus they got direct.
Not everyone can/will do this but they oughta try, IMO
True. If you have the time to search auctions and call individual school districts you can end up with a real bargain. Unfortunately many districts trade in their buses to a dealership which tends to give dealers a pretty tight hold on the market.

Sure wish California wasn't so PC with the Crowns....
Old 05-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
Was thinking about your search this morning while running my routes.... It may be worth your while to negotiate on those buses in AZ. They have high hours on them but they come from a school district with their own maintenance department so they're probably well taken care of. And being on a heavy duty chassis they probably have many more miles left in them.

The main reason I was thinking they may be worth looking at some more: NO rust. It would be great to build a conversion on a platform that has no rust. Especially if it's going to be sitting unused for most of the year.

Like Cowlitzcouch was saying: Make a ridiculous but serious offer on it. They are too old for contractors in the U.S. to be interested in them so the only market for them is probably export and people looking to convert them.
What kind of offer should I come in with? I don't want to be insulting.
Roadschooldreamer143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Be insulting. Are they going to kick you off the lot?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Be insulting. Are they going to kick you off the lot?
Well...it will be over the phone...so he might laugh and hang up...
Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #76
Skoolie

Since nobody has chimed in... If the bus is as represented what is the most you're willing to pay? What is the price that would make you say, "Ok, we're on our way to pick it up!"

Personally, I would be upfront and try for $4000 if that is your "right now" limit. If he laughs at you, well, it's out of your price range and move on to the next bus.

The buses are from the Peoria Unified School District in the Phoenix area. It might be worth it to call the transportation department tomorrow and ask about them. Their web site states that they use Public Surplus but they don't have any buses listed in closed auctions.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:41 AM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
Since nobody has chimed in... If the bus is as represented what is the most you're willing to pay? What is the price that would make you say, "Ok, we're on our way to pick it up!"

Personally, I would be upfront and try for $4000 if that is your "right now" limit. If he laughs at you, well, it's out of your price range and move on to the next bus.

The buses are from the Peoria Unified School District in the Phoenix area. It might be worth it to call the transportation department tomorrow and ask about them. Their web site states that they use Public Surplus but they don't have any buses listed in closed auctions.
How much I'm willing to pay and how much I have in my own back pocket currently are two very different things 😂 However my grandmother sold her house for a pretty penny 2 years ago and my mom is asking her lawyers if it will effect her medical insurance (her lump sum is considered her "income" and is essentially rationed out to carry her through her days) but if I can, I'm going to borrow the difference from her and pay her back a little each month so we can still start work on the bus.

Soooo say a little prayer because to me this bus in Arizona feels like it's the one and with all the positive comments about it I'm gonna go for it. Will definitely try to talk him down though!

Putting a deposit down today!
Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 AM   #78
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
If you want an air-ride bus, 99.9% will have air brakes as well. Consider this - tractor-trailers and heavy trucks all use air brakes. The vast majority use common parts which are easy to come by and you can shop around for fair prices. Air brakes work a little differently than hydraulic brakes, the most noticeable being a slight lag between "when you push the pedal" to "brakes actually slowing the bus", typically a few tenths of a second (maybe a second or longer on big trucks). Hydraulic pressure travels almost instantly, air pressure takes time to travel through the lines and to the brake chambers. This is not a bad thing, it's just the nature of the system.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
If you want an air-ride bus, 99.9% will have air brakes as well. Consider this - tractor-trailers and heavy trucks all use air brakes. The vast majority use common parts which are easy to come by and you can shop around for fair prices. Air brakes work a little differently than hydraulic brakes, the most noticeable being a slight lag between "when you push the pedal" to "brakes actually slowing the bus", typically a few tenths of a second (maybe a second or longer on big trucks). Hydraulic pressure travels almost instantly, air pressure takes time to travel through the lines and to the brake chambers. This is not a bad thing, it's just the nature of the system.
That's what I assumed I've just never driven them myself. I'm sure it is fairly easy to get used to. Makes sense now why semi trucks always leave so much distance between the car in front of them. Thank you for explaining it in more detail.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #80
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadschooldreamer143 View Post
That's what I assumed I've just never driven them myself. I'm sure it is fairly easy to get used to. Makes sense now why semi trucks always leave so much distance between the car in front of them. Thank you for explaining it in more detail.
Plus the mere physics that it takes longer to stop when you weigh 25X as much as that car in front of you... And that's one thing you'll come to appreciate very quickly is just how ignorant, rude and downright deadly drivers can be around larger vehicles. It'll really change your perspective and hopefully make you a better driver when you're in a car around trucks and buses.
jake_blue is offline   Reply With Quote