Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Alternative Flooring [emoji3097][emoji3097]

?? Any great ideas for different floors rather than wood ?

Bamboo is “nice”....... but here’s the real question ... Hempcrete blocks 2 inch thick , could be like garden paver molded and filled with cob..??? I’ve been trying to figure the weight . I would only block and cob the walk ways not under the cabinets and beds ..

LunarWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Bumping this to see if anyone has tried hempcrete for flooring or any other area of insulation in their skoolie. Maybe I'll start a new thread on this, too.
Big Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
My concern would be what would happen if you are involved in a accident. Would those blocks break loose an become missiles?
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Seems that hempcrete has an R value of around 2.5 per inch, about half as good as XPS foam board. I'm not sure what 2" blocks cost, but eBay has 3.5"x7"x14" for about $10 (plus shipping), which would provide about the same insulation as 2" of XPS. It would take 47 of these blocks to cover the same area as a 4'x8' sheet of foam board - so it's $470 (plus shipping, plus losing 1.5" more headroom) for hempcrete versus $30 for XPS board. You might need 20-ish 4'x8' sheets to do a bus, so that's $9400 to insulate with hempcrete.

This seems in the same category of ludicrously expensive as aerogel, except aerogel is actually twice as effective as XPS instead of half as effective. Maybe I'm missing something and there's a much cheaper source available somewhere, but this stuff would have to be fifty cents a block to beat XPS on price.

Perhaps doing your own bulk pour is much cheaper? But apparently you can't use it structurally then, since it takes a really long time to cure. Then you'd need to fill in between studs on the floor, might as well use fiberglass then.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:20 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Musigenesis, how do you find the time to find out all this information AND work on your bus AND bake? You probably work too! LOL

I'm retired and am worn out just trying to read a lot of these threads.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Lizard skin

Has anyone used Lizard Skin for a heat barrier?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Has anyone used Lizard Skin for a heat barrier?
A lot of folks on the binderplanet have and felt it made a big difference. Them little IHC's get hot inside -- especially when you strip out the carpet and padding...

It's expensive I hear but they make a heat and a sound deadening product.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I believe making your own is significantly cheaper - maybe consider it the same as wool in terms of price and moisture permeability/management. You could make custom batts to tamp in it, but yes then you'd still need to put floor in over top. I guess the same question would apply to wool - is it worth it to do your floors with wool if it is so inefficient? What about mixing insulations in a bus - spray the bottom, wool the sides? Worst of both worlds?
Big Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tim View Post
I believe making your own is significantly cheaper - maybe consider it the same as wool in terms of price and moisture permeability/management. You could make custom batts to tamp in it, but yes then you'd still need to put floor in over top. I guess the same question would apply to wool - is it worth it to do your floors with wool if it is so inefficient? What about mixing insulations in a bus - spray the bottom, wool the sides? Worst of both worlds?
Due to the nature of the bus I think using esoteric materials is misguided...
Especially on the floor. At some point it will get wet. I think the only acceptable floor insulation is a closed cell foam. Something that can't contain, or absorb any amount of water...

If you're into boondocking --any kind of fiber fill is an excellent home to rodents and insects... no thank you...

You may get lucky and not have water leak into your walls but again insects and rodents... Just look at the condition of the fiberglass insulation removed from everybody's builds? Usually Yuck!
The one exception I might try in my budget build walls will be encapsulating the fiberglass bats in plastic bags (the way it's done to protect the insulation in higher end automobiles) so they can never absorb any moisture or insects. A pesky rodent could still eff up this plan...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote