Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Alternative sub flooring ideas

Still trying to find the perfect subfloor material for my bus.

Any thoughts on the commercial kitchen rubber drainage mats for a subfloor?
I can get them here in Mexico (where I live) for cheap... $300 for my whole 6 window bus... from the pedals to the back door.

My thoughts...
1) creates an air space for some mild insulation (again, I am only conscerned about tropical to temperate weather)
2) Nice and cushy but seems to have enough consistent support to put luxury plank flooring directly on it (?)
3) Completely waterproof... would even have some air flow to allow any moisture to evaporate.
4) if it covers these points, it would give me a subfloor, mild insulation, and underlayment all in 3/4" of space and leave me some nice headroom.

Any thoughts on my thoughts?

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I looked into the use of the non-slip mechanics tool drawer liner for the same purpose. Discovered it is waterproof as well as mold & mildew proof. Would create a minimal thermal break and minimize vibration transfer to the flooring.

Did not go that route simply because I'm laying rubber tile on top of marine ply floors and figured it might also help a bit with noise. We'll see.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post

Any thoughts on the commercial kitchen rubber drainage mats

2) Nice and cushy but seems to have enough consistent support to put luxury plank flooring directly on it (?)

Are you talking about the ones with the holes in them that I hated spraying down outside after shift? That smelled like only restaurant floor can smell?

I don't think they'd work for the plank flooring- they might flex too much. Another layer of luan on top of the rubber mat might work with plank.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Those are the ones, Rusty . They smell on there own or just after the food gets in there?

How nasty should I expect a ply subfloor to get if there is no insulation underneath?
Or....
Would i be crazy to just go straight vinyl plank on the metal. One of the thicker, nicer ones?
Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Tyania,
Do a search for G Floors. They have bus, boat, and other flooring that might be something that works for you.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyania View Post

Any thoughts on the commercial kitchen rubber drainage mats for a subfloor?
I can get them here in Mexico (where I live) for cheap... $300 for my whole 6 window bus... from the pedals to the back door.

My thoughts...
1) creates an air space for some mild insulation (again, I am only conscerned about tropical to temperate weather)
3) Completely waterproof... would even have some air flow to allow any moisture to evaporate.
4) if it covers these points, it would give me a subfloor, mild insulation, and underlayment all in 3/4" of space and leave me some nice headroom.

Kitchen mats lose there durability when compressed for long periods. Find a better option as you won't want to remove the flooring later because it's collapsed and the flooring is flexing.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote