Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Bus Nut

angle grinder?

I'm finally about to buy an angle grinder, and I see that there are de walt 7" and 4.5" angle grinders at lowes.

I was wondering if there was any reason to choose one size over the other? Other than price?

thanks,
jim

baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: angle grinder?

Ah, thanks!

Lowes is about 30 minutes away, and home depot is about 60 minutes away. Which is across the street from another lowes.

The good news is, I work in the same city that the home depot is at, so I can just get the ryobi on my lunch break tomorrow.

I didn't think about the tight spaces. I just have this "bigger has to be better" mentality that I've been trying to break myself of. After all, I have to learn how to live inside a bus. hehe
Old 05-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

I've been using a Makita 4" for many years. No regrets.
Also, if you need bigger, you can always put a metal cutting blade in a circular saw. I used this set-up to cut holes for my lower refrigerator door, water heater and roof air. A bit easier to maintain a straight, true cut line.
The 4" (4 1/2") grinder is a jack of all trades, I think a must have.

I got a cheapie Harbor Freight made in China unit a while back; It has a bigger arbor than most, and it can be very difficult to find blades. That's the only thing I can think to watch for in a 4 1/2 incher. I think my Makita is 5/8? Discs are cheap and available everywhere.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Bus Nut

5/8 x 11 is the ''standard'' arbor size for angle grinders, both 7 and 4 inch, make sure that any wheel that you put on your 4'' grinder is rated for the proper rpm, I've seen several people install large wheels on a small grinder only to have them grenade at 10,000 rpm with catastrophic results, even a 4'' wheel coming apart at high speed can be cause for a trip to the emergency room

my experience is that if you can find metabo blades the premium price pays for itself with longer life.

I use a milwaukee industrial grinder, 11.5 amps.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I bought a 4.5" from Harbor Frieght for $9.99 and that thing has been the primary tool for almost anything to do with my bus. It has been an invaluable asset, and it even came with a set of spare motor brushes (I have since lost the brushes, but the thing still runs great)... can't beat the price!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'm with everyone else. I use cheap grinders ALL the time for all kinds of things. The expensive ones haven't held up nearly as well. Usually I like to buy a good tool to ensure that I get the projection done before the tool is done working, but grinders have proven to be an exception for me. Good wheels are the difference between great performance and lackluster results more often than the motor that turns them.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I bought a Black & Decker 4.5" angle grinder. It easily cut through any piece of steel I needed to cut while doing my conversion. It cost about 40 or 50 bucks. Plus, whether this is true or not I don't know, but I have heard DeWalt makes Black & Decker.

Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Bus Nut

I ended up getting the ryobi 4.5". There was a $30 model and a $40 model, and the $40 model seemed to be more adjustable and also came with a carry case and a grinding blade, a wire wheel blade, and a sandpaper flap blade.

I've had ryobi tools in the past and been quite pleased with how they held up. Of course, I sold them all during a time of unemployment, but they were still good tools.

Added to that was vanguy67's endorsement, and I was sold. It was even worth the aggravation of dealing with the mall traffic on the north side of town.

Now I just need an excuse to use it. lol

jim