Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Another newbie here

I have a 200 amp solinoid between my front (the 2 stock ones) and the rear (2 6v) batteries. It connects when the key is turned on. Everything to do with camping is wired to the back. It just updated a smaller solinoid that was used to wire in the added on section of the bus from the stock electrical system.

my bus build http://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

you are talking about a normally on solinoid, for those who dont know what that is. i think the cheapest ones start somewhere around 15 bucks or so. They are also handy to put in line in the newer cars that arent started every week, as the battery can be completely disconnected that way...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
you are talking about a normally on solinoid, for those who dont know what that is. i think the cheapest ones start somewhere around 15 bucks or so. ..
Actually what you want to ask for is a continuous duty unit. Continuous duty parts are designed to be on hours at a time to forever.

A solenoid actually designed for starter service might be what is called intermittent duty, meaning it would be on for a short period of time to start the engine, and then turned off. Intermittent duty parts are not designed to survive being on all the time. But a starter solenoids might last, as battery charging current is a fraction of the engine start current. It would depend on the design of the activating coil windings if they could keep cool with constant current to hold the battery contacts together.

Relays and solenoids have their contacts in two classes:

Normally open (N.O.) contacts have no connection unless the relay is powered - what you want
Normally closed (N.C.) contacts are always connected unless the relay is powered
- what the parts man may think you want if you ask for "normally on."

Many relays and some complex solenoids have more than one set of contacts, and normally open and normally closed sets may be found on the same unit.

There can also be what is called a "common" (C) contact, which would connect to a normally closed contact until the relay is energized, and then connect to a normally closed one when power is applied. Automatic change-overs for AC gensets are like this. Usually, an RV shoreline is wired to normally closed contacts, the generator to normally open contacts, and the RV to common contacts which connect to one of the other two at any time. When the generator starts, its power is wired to energize the relay, disconnect the shorline's N.C. contacts, and connect the RV to the generator's N.O. contacts.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Just food for thought on peoples design process.

I am going to have a bank of house batteries but they will be ran/charged off a 2nd alternator once I take the air injection pump. Probably going to be a big one that way when the bus is rolling down the road. It seems people are in love with the 6v golf cart batteries? Im just curious is theres a huge difference in price versus the marine type battery? I have no issues with either one just want the best bang for the buck. I know most marine batteries will only have a 1 year warranty ( or walmarts does)

Bapos

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

yeah, you could call it a continous duty, however many of the people in the parts don't know what you are talking about no matter what you call it...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Ain't that the truth '49. We have a new law here in Ca. which requires parts houses to provide a real time view of their parts catalogue when they are looking up your part---this has proved to be very helpful to me as it allows me to sort of do my own look-up. I used up 50 gal of hot water in the shower last night trying to devine what made the state make such a requirement. The only thing I could come up with is that it might cut down on the number of complaints the BAR has to field re wrong parts and anything the state happy merry workers can do to work less they would be behind 110 percent!?!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Dare I say it, but for once a good law?
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

i think the best law would be to outlaw all the other laws.
but i like the washington one which allowed the king county voters to count the vote 117 times until the lovely lady won....