Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
Year: 1987
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: SaftLiner
Engine: Cat 3208 Turbo 250HP
Rated Cap: 84
Re: another propane tank question

Originally Posted by delbertinie
how well do you like the propane jenny? is it any quieter than a gas unit? and what kind of money are they any higher than conventional.

was thinking about a honda eu
The Honda is a great unit, and I hear lots of praise for them.

I can't say that the LP Onan is any quieter, and their page lists the noise specs as the same for gas or LP. I do like never having to mess with the carb after having the unit sit idle for a month or more. I press the start button, and it starts...down to 20* last winter. The exhaust is not too offensive either.
The cost for a dedicated LP unit from Onan was only about $150 more than the same sized gas genny. I change the Onan's oil every 75-100 hours, and it looks tabout the same coming out, as it did going in.
I can highly recommend a properly set up LP genny.
87 SaftLiner
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
Year: 1952
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 5.7 Proposed
Rated Cap: 12
Re: another propane tank question

I have been around propane forever. It used to be a lot simpler. Now days if you don't have the right valves in the tank, they won't fill it, but they'll upgrade the valve for a nominal fee...

You might check with your local propane dealer to see what they have to say, but you may run into a snag if you permanently mount portable tanks- 20lb or 100lb. LP tanks designed to be permanently mounted to vehicles have guages, vapor ports, liquid ports, fuel level senders, emergency pop-off valves etc. Your typical grill bottle does not. I would guess the best bet for using portable tanks would be to keep them portable.

Also, the propane guy isn't going to crawl under your bus to fill'er up.

Something that might work well on a bus is camper tanks. They're 8ft long and mount over the wheel wells on full size pickups. Slide in campers fit right over the top. They're 40 gallons each. I have a pair of them between the floor joists in my shop as air compressor tanks.

barxracer is offline   Reply With Quote