Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2004, 08:55 PM   #21
Bus Geek

WAL MART PARKING:

please do all traveling skoolie and RV people a favor and dont' abuse the free overnite parking policy at wal-mart. It's fine to stay one nite, or maybe two. But don't stay longer than that. Even if they don't force you to leave, it's just not polite. It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone. If you stay in the wally world parking lot, make it a point to go inside the store and buy something. Don't pull out your awnings campstove and lawn chairs. This is not a campground, it's a parking lot. Most wal-mart stores do not mind an overnite stay, but the policy is not intended to provide long term parking/camping for free. People who take advantage of wal-marts kindness are slowly ruining it for the rest of us. More and more wal-mart stores are not allowing overnite parking. As people continue to excercise such poor judgement it forces the stores to make policies that prevent the rest of us from enjoying the benefits of a free occosional overnite stay.

OK, i'll get off of my soap box now.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:18 AM   #22
Lin

I have to go with the nay-sayers here. If you are getting a flat nose bluebird, it is easy to fit in with a reasonable paint job anyway. Lavender might be okay too if it is one of the colors and done right. The question becomes what are you trying to achieve anyway. If you are using your bus to make a statement regardless of consequences, that's one thing. After all, lots of people risk harrassment, arrest, and prosecution making statements or supporting causes that are dear to them. I can understand the desire to be freely artistic and not to succumb to the forces of ignorance, but fighting with campground managers does not seem like the battle to choose. Most people, despite being narrow minded are not that bad. They just may not want to take a chance that you are like that crew that came through 10 years ago, or at upsetting their regualar clientele. Try calling a couple of campgrounds to make reservations telling them you have an old school bus and see what they say. My wife once tried to make a reservation like that and was turned down. We called back and made the reservation for a motorhome and it was confirmed. Some campgrounds, if you tell them you have a bus conversion, will make the reservation contingent upon inspection when you arrive. We just call it a motorhome and I might be willing to fudge 20 years or so on the age too.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Hmm... just gonna re-vitalize this old topic. Im all for the Crazy paint jobs and standing out, Hell if your driving a 20'+ foot rig you're gonna get some looks, and im not really talkning crazy in your face... just... Creative. This is not the route im gonna take when painting my bus tho, Conservative colours all the way.
Im not really sure how it is in other parts of the world but I get hassled all the time from various folks in the "Hood".
Vancouver is a very Snobby City, Beautiful... but snobby people. Im telling you, you gotta look around hard here for any vehicle that dates back to Pre 1992. Seems like everybody here has nice new shiny cars and Clothes and stuff, so you can imagine at how these people scoff at my lovely "White Primer" Pig when they see it in their rear-view.
Granted, I have gotten some good publicity and people that were down with my Cause... thinking that it's all cool to do a conversion... people dreaming that they had a bus, but generally it's strange looks and "why the hell would you wanna do that" Cause it's my hobby and it's a labour of love you Jack Ass!!
I get hassled by just people walking down the street... they don't even live there but believe that it is their duty to approach me and tell me I can't Park here... "well then where is the damn sign that says I can't" I am thinking... of course, there isn't one... it's just that people see me as some young hippie punk (I just look young) stepping outa my Hippie bus, but man... I do the same 9-5 and pay the same taxes as you Dude.

Sorry bout that guy's... just felt that I had to get that off my chest, I am sure that everybody has run into some sort of the same problem with their busses, but hey... stick with it and screw what other people think.

I think that my point was tho... that im just gonna go with Normal colours on my bus, I don't need any extra attention, since my main Idea with the Bus and whole "Bus thing" is to get away from the city and meet other "Like minded" people on the road, sharing experiences, seeing the sights and just having fun doing It all... isn't that what it's supposed to be all about??

Just my two bits (once again, sorry bout the rant)
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Camoflage

Well, there's always the alternative.... Paint it to look like something else! No, not a rock or a deer. Paint it to look like...THE BLOODMOBILE! That's what mine reminds me of. Or, how about a SWAT bus? Or BOOKMOBILE!

Or my personal favorite, a FREE MAMMOGRAM bus?!?!

Wonder how long it would be before they nicked me for the last one?
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

now that you mention it... maybe painting my bus to look like a Moose might be a good Idea.
I'd like to see that comming up on my rear-view, A great big Moose, scare the hell outta me.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Hey, c'mon. If ya really wanna freak 'em out, put the body backwards on the chassis & take a spin on the freeway or a through a crowded parking lot!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

OH MAN!!!

How cool would that be, The "Reverse" Bus

gives a hole new meaning to "Backing that Ass Up"

I think that's what I would call It
just write it on the front bumper in Reverse.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Don't forget yer "Don't follow me, I'm lost too!" bumper sticker...question is...which end do ya put it on?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Okay, how's this for attention getting colors........I live close to the Indiana Department of Corrections diagnostic center, and Putnamville penetentiary. My point is, my bus is the exact solid blue color of the D.O.C. buses that are used and stored at these facilities. Talk about second looks from law enforcement!!!!
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #30
Bus Nut

LOVE IT! The only other idea I could come up with is to paint it like an asylum patient transport with "PLEASE DON'T TAP ON GLASS" stickers under the darkened windows...
Old 08-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Put lots of warning type lights like ad ambulance would have and some radioactive stickers on it. Then paint "hazardous material response team" on the side. You could even wear a bunny suit while driving. I bet you would not have any tailgaters.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to noahyay
im thinking about having a white bus with black flames on the side and blue outline on the flames.

its pretty subtle compared to black with red flames but im afraid it will look to dull. and i know that i would get pulled over everyday at school if i spiced it up.

or i could leave it looking stock like the stanford free shuttle busses that are all so frequent around here. than i would never get pulled over!
Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 AM   #33
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I wouldn't worry about getting pulled over every day if you spice it up. That won't happen unless you're driving like a wild man. Paint the bright flames and enjoy!
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote