Old 08-17-2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Any drawbacks to wierd colors.

If I was really worried about what people thought I prolly wouldnt be doing this, but.....Girlfriend wants lavender. I dont really have a problem driving a lavender bus, but do you have problems with some campsites or rv parks if the bus doesnt look conventional. Just wondered what level of snobism you guys face by the folks driving the high dollar motor coaches..or is it one big happy family??

G&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek
i've discussed this topic a bit both on the net and with skoolie owners i've met in person. The general concensis seems to be that most rv parks will not give you a problem based on your bus. On occasion you might find a place that will be less than courteous simply because they believe you have a "hippie bus"

Another issue of having an exotic bus is that police officers might be more inclined to hassle you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes (who will watch the watchmen?)
lapeer20m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Police Officers probably wouldn't bother you for a lavender bus, but they might try to rescue you from your feminist kidnappers. Ok, I'm kidding...just don't put the "I support the local police union" sticker on the back or the "Bad cop, no donut" bumper sticker on the back if you're doing something you shouldn't be doing. State Patrol have no sense of humor whatsoever and a sample of their conversations with motorists sound something like this...

"Here is your citation. I know you're not happy about this, but the law is the law. You know I have to go by the book so please stop complaining mom."

Most of us local boys will leave you alone no matter what color you paint your bus if you don't give us a reason to feel compelled to stop you.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:32 AM   #4

Yea a friend of mine learned the "bad cop no donut" sticker was not a good idea. He finally had to take the thing off. Yea the MD state police are pretty strict

Im pushing for a grey and lavender two tone. We are looking at getting a fairly large bus, since this will be a full time thing for us, at least for a while.

Im not so worried about how we look, as I am being turned away at camp grounds. We plan on taking our time and making it look pretty nice, inside and out. Thanks for replies,

Old 08-18-2004, 09:50 AM   #5
Greg…in my sometimes humble opinion…
I think you should be pretty careful in what colors you choose to paint your Bus…. especially since it’s going to be your fulltime home.

I know numerous School Bus owners who painted their rigs in what they thought were Cool colors who got turned away from many campgrounds & trailer parks in Oregon. (Even in Eugene, ‘Hippy Central’)…

Campgrounds whether we like it or not, are used to catering to the more ‘usual’ type of RV. And, they’re not going to be receptive to what they consider a ‘hippy’ looking rig.

So, I’d think twice about painting a bus in ‘unusual ‘ colors…unless you think it doesn’t matter that you’d get turned away from campgrounds.
Personally, I think it should matter to you if the rigs going to be your Home…. it’s no fun to drive for miles ...pull in tired at some campground …only to be told you cant stay.
That means, if there’s no other campground in the area that will let you stay…you either have to keep driving…or find some secret spot to pull over to sleep (opening yourself to a cop knocking on your Bus door at 1 in the morning)

As far as good ‘campground & cop friendly ‘colors go…take a look at Vern & Steve’s bus…both are painted (especially Vern’s) beautifully and would have few problems with campgrounds.

Now my Buses are a different story …
I always go for the philosophy that since School Buses are already considered the Black Sheep of the RV’ing World…why not make them really stand out from the crowd.
So, I tend to use lots of exterior woodwork and such to give them that old 70’s Rolling Home look.

Knock on Wood…Most of the time people really seem to like our Bus(s)…including most cops.
All they need to do is take one look at our Bus to see that’s lots of time; effort & money went into the conversion.
They don’t walk away thinking we’re just ‘poor folks’ who cant afford a ‘Real RV’.

An added benefit has always been that Cops don’t bother us much …since our rigs always stand out, they never think were just poor folks or hippies trying to hide something.
They might think were a bit weird …but I’d much rather have them smile and shake their heads a little as the drive by …then pull me over to harass what they think is a Hippy.
Are you questioning my Aaa-thoritttyy ?
soused moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Thanks for the input moose.

My big worry is to drive all day and get turned away. All because of a colr choice. Im just not one to make things hard on myself.

I see alot of busses that look really nice. We are looking at a pretty large flatnose bluebird, and I have seen some really nice conversions on those busses.

Point taken, thanks again..

Old 08-24-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
I may be wrong about this but in the Midwest, Walmart has no problem with RV'ers parking in the far sections of their parking lots overnight. As far as being hassled for you choice of colors the only info I have is that the raggity Skoolies that have three different tones tones of primer and some sloppy paint job on the fenders that stops where the the spray paint can ran out will raise eyebrow's. I had a muli-color bus with a carefully planned out and executed paint job and never ever had any problems. I think if you show pride in your rig, people will respond positively to that. Just don't put any GRATEFUL DEAD stickers on it!!!
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
Bus Geek
Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
You could probably do a "tasteful" lavender/grey paint scheme if you use the lavender as the accent colour with the grey as the body colour. I would keep all the colours on the light side. Dark colour outside means heat build-up inside.

You can keep your flamboyant side for the interior. My paint colours (no bus yet) will be a mid-range to light blue accents on white body (with white roof since we live in the South) and the interior will be high Victorian (I love polychrome Victorians)! The exterior will be a sober, low-key paint scheme. Mostly to keep private RV parks from hassling me. We don't camp in private parks much as we prefer the public parks. Unfortunately we can't long-term park in the public parks.

The Eagle on the other hand will most likely end up being red with a red tinted clear coat on the brushed aluminum siding.
This post is my opinion. It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Fulltime since 2006
The goal of life is living in agreement with nature. Zeno (335BC-264BC)
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
Bus Crazy
Send a message via AIM to Steve

This bus is a great example of how strange colors can really look very good. I think it's all in your design.
View my 1972 Ward: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1986 Blue Bird: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
View my 1960 GMC: Topic from the Build : The Picture Gallery
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:31 PM   #10
my bus, that we traveled ALL over in, had no problems. and it looked like a rainbow threw up on it. not only was it multi-colored with smiley faces etc., but it also was spray painted in the wind (not quite as pre-planned as we had hoped for). we got SO many positive responses for our "hippy" bus and people liked the throw-back to the 1960's so much that people bought us gas, paid for our campsites, got us into hot springs, gave us their leftovers and let us stay with them for a week at a time. we also saw a couple teaching their 5 year old the peace sign as we drove by. no problems in the state and national parks for sure and never a problem in a rv. campsite either. and it is true, you can also stay in walmarts across america (as long as there aren't any local bylaws against it). the inside of our bus was quite conservative, however, and even though we are in our 20 somethings, we come across as a quite conservative bunch too (as conservative as a school bus full of college grads can be!).
wonderkaty is offline   Reply With Quote