Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2010, 01:32 AM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Any experience with this toilet?

Walmart has this portable toilet for $79. Seems like an easy way to take care of the toilet requirement for the DMV. Has anyone used one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Global-Pas...ReviewTitleBar

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #2

Re: Any experience with this toilet?

Please explain, I have no experience with a toilet like this. Are you pumping something to make it flush?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Not that particular one, but we had a similar type in our skoolie decades ago, don't recall ever having any problems with it....and there were 7 of us

You could build a sawdust toilet for alot less

Smitty

I know that, but I don't feel like explaining to the DMV inspector why I am pooping into a 5 gallon bucket with sawdust. I want the inspection to go as trouble free as possible.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

It's an imitation Port-A-Potty. In states that require RVs to have all the RVIA-type bolted-in permanent facilities, it doesn't count. In states with self-certification, or no particular list of required living facilities, you have a functioning toilet.

Port-A-Pottys split in two. The bottom half is a black tank. The top half is the bowl surrounded by a fresh-water tank. The handle in the middle pulls out to open a shutter between the two. Push the handle in, undo a latch and pull the halves apart. You can now carry the black tank to the nearest toilet or latrine to dump. Carry the top half separately to a water faucet to be filled.

On either side of the seat are a fresh water filler cap and a bellows pump. After using the unit, pull the shutter handle out to let the bowl contents drop, and press the bellows for a meager squirt or two of water around the bowl. You may want to carry a pack of alcohol wipes to clean out any unsightly residue the squirter can't move.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybob

And as a male, I don't find the depth of the bowl adequate.....

SB
Family "jewels" hang a little low for this unit? SB, that sounds like an uncomfortable fit!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Im wondering if the regs allow porta-potties.

I know here it states "Self Contained Toilet (Not capable of easy removal like a porta-potty)" It also states stuff needs to be secured and require a tool for removal.....
I think you answered your own question!

On a side note, everytime I see one of these I think back to a joke somewhere about 'pumping the chemical toilet'
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Okay, I see what you are saying. Did you have a link the the ICBC regulations? They seem really strict, almost like they want to force you into buying all the 'expensive' parts of a prefab RV. They must have ties with RVIA or something. Of course, I have seem many RVs made in Summerland, BC and area that came without bathrooms or just had a porta-potty installed. They seem to get away with it. In fact, my brother just bought a sticks-n-staples Vanguard trailer made in BC that has a porta-potty style toilet.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
You could technically have a porta-potty, but you would have to have 3 other things on the list as well, (Fridge, Cooking Facilities, A/C, Potable Water) and it would be ok.

SB
I see...guess my brothers trailer has a fridge, stove, and a very small freshwater tank, so it qualifies that way.