Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 90
Coachwork: Volunteer
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 65
Any purpose in removing rubber floor

guy/gals is there any reason to remove the rubber coating in the bus floor? I figured it would be a good sound deadner and insulation. i have in mind putting the 1/2 insulation down then 1/2 to 3/4 chip boat with a floor covering of some kind. really didnt see a reason to pull the rubber up.

Six Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Any purpose in removing rubber floor

most folks remove all the flooring down to the bare metal, that way you check the contion of the metal, you also get rid of that school bus smell, which im sure its part of the rubber flooring, with mine I went down to the metal, painted, rolled out a 3mm black rubber underlay , for sound deading, then 3/8 green baord foam, board insulation, 5/8 plywood.Im glad I did this, I know all the steel floor is good, next will be vinyl tile.

just my 2 cents, if you want you can cover over the rubber its up to you

good luck
gbstewartl
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel

A lot of people say it is what give the bus that bus smell. I removed mine today, and also found no wood and nice shiney metal with no rust. I plan on siliconing all the holes, putting down a sealant, then some foam board, followed by 1/4 palywood, topped with wood laminate. I will loose a little over an inch in head room, but feel it is worth it.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

I can attest to the flooring being what gives the bus it's 'school bus smell'. If nothing else, tearing out the old to do proper inspection and rebuild will no doubt save you much grief later down the line.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We've peeked under our rubber flooring. Metal no plywood. I don't know where our bus came from... we bought it in Southwestern NC, it was previously owned by a white water rafting company out of Long Creek SC so the same general area. We're keeping the rubber. Ours is rather securely stuck to the metal.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote