Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
any Regrets? (what do you WISH you had done differently)

Here's an open thread that I hope will go on for a long time and be a nice catch all category...

What do you most regret NOT doing differently, at any point in your skoolie conversion? Examples:
- Not buying a more powerful engine
- Not getting a diesel (if gas)
- Not getting an automatic
- Not looking longer (spent too much)
- Some part of your conversion that if you did it over again, you would do differently.
- Etc.

Let this thread be a thread of lessons for current and future readers. I imagine certain themes will come up alot.

Alternately if you 'buck the trend' and you were happy with your 366 gas, or stick shift, or 50mph top speed feel free to share that too just to avoid everyone coming to the wrong conclusion. After a few months or maybe half a year i'd like to compile this list into common themes and assumptions, but I don't want it to have a distorted view. (i'm just assuming more power, diesel, and auto are going to be commonly said, if you disagree share your view!)

nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: any Regrets? (what do you WISH you had done differently)

I wish I had put thicker plywood down over my insulation and furring strips on the floor (it has JUST enough sag for me to feel...princess and the pea sort of a thing) and I do really wish I would have gotten a bigger bus. We have a 2008 IC FE300 40 footer at the shop right now and the thing is sweet. Cavernous best describes the space inside it, it handles and maneuvers better than my little Class C bus, and it will do 70 mph with the 220hp DT466/Allison 2400 combo. Of course it's a $100,000 2008 model year bus and it's in our shop.