Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: RTSII
Engine: 6V92TA
Rated Cap: 55
Send a message via AIM to BBTC2K Send a message via Yahoo to BBTC2K
Any thoughts on Florida regulations

I am relatively new to the state of Florida, and I am still wanting to do my bus conversion. I am looking for for another bus to convert, and I was wondering if there are any specific things that FL requires...such as Paint, lights, stop sign, plates...anything at all would be really helpful...I knew PA law...but haven't found much on FL, other than there are no inspections here...lol

I would appreciate any help...

Shawn

proud single custodial dad to 18yr old son Jeremey, who wants to try his hand at driving my RTS
BBTC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Any thoughts on Florida regulations

Hey there shawn. Welcome to the sunshine state. where are you at? i am in lakeland. i just spent some time at the tag office and talked with a supervisor about this. to legally convert it to an rv you have to have at least one of these three things: lp run appliances, some sort of plumbing, or 110 electrical. you cant just stick in an extension cord, it must me a legitimate install, but you only need one outlet. all you have to do is make you own affidavit up and sign it stating you did that and take it with the title to the tax collectors office and they will change the title to rv. so easy huh?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Skoolie

i am just swapping out a tag from the old rv. not sure on the cost. i probably should have asked haha. but i am delivering the old rv to the new owner this weekend and pulling the old tag off of it for the bus. its a vanity plate for my organization so i want to keep her.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

In Florida before they will change the title but you have to get it weighed after the conversio and provide a print out from the scale. They say that Florida will not give temp tags but they did give me one after I asked them how I would drive the bus to the scale without a plate. As said above, you have to sign an affidavit for the conversion and there is no inspection, at least when I did it. When I tried to get a temp tag for my new bus and told her it was going to be converted she said I might have to have it inspected but still no temp tag to transport.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
Skoolie

the sup at the office told me i didnt have to get it weighed. when was it they made you do that? maybe it changed. i asked specifically if i would have to weigh it to get the new title and transfer the tag and they told me no. just wondering.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The only thing otherwise I have been told on other projects is keep receipts.
This is not only useful for registration, but it helps determine value if someone hits you, causes a fire, etc.

A while back, we had a rebuilt engine installed in my wife's 14-year old 4x4. She wrecked it in an accident that was the other driver's fault. The cost of the engine was almost 3x the current book value for a total loss, but after a couple of letters their insurer paid us what the receipts showed we had put into it.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: RTSII
Engine: 6V92TA
Rated Cap: 55
Send a message via AIM to BBTC2K Send a message via Yahoo to BBTC2K

Thanks for the info...thats very interesting...do you still have to paint it different in FL? and I really thought about making the rear school bus lights into brake and turn signal bulbs...much dimmer, of course...

Shawn

proud single custodial dad to 18yr old son Jeremey, who wants to try his hand at driving my RTS
BBTC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I just went through it in September and am about to do it to my other bus. You dont register it for a max weight like you would a CMV. When you change the title to the RV, the net weight changes from its original on the title which is why they make you weigh it. The toughest thing I had was finding someone at the DMV that actually knew how to change the title and what was actually required.
In Florida you do have to change the color and cover/change the red lights.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote