Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Anybody need a $50 air conditioner?

I'm contemplating a trip to p/u two (new) RV a/c's next week down in Mississippi. These are Katrina a/c's pulled from trailers when they were set up that didn't work for whatever reason. The person that has quite a few bought them at auction and is selling them for $50. He said we could set up a time and I could go through and pick out the units I want. He says that they didn't troubleshoot what was wrong with a unit, they would just pull a non-working unit and replace it as they went.

Any thoughts? Can I hook up ac and check the operation without the lower unit? If I can find some that work it sounds like a great deal to me.

These don't come w/ the lower unit. I'm planning on putting in duct work so he said all I need to operate one is the thermostat (and AC of course). If I buy more than three they're $45 each. They're 15k btu DuoTherms.

boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I might be interested in that. I have one Coleman Mach ducted unit, but the fan motor is siezed and have no idea if the compressor is any good. A freind is giving me a non-ducted roof top unit, but it's an older one...he claims it works like a champ though, he bought a new trailer and is gutting the old one.

I wonder what shipping cost on one of them would be to me (23323)... hmmmm....

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Yeah, shipping's the thing. If I find out that it's only minor things wrong I'm tempted to p/u 3 or 4 and see if anybody in the TN area would want to pick one or two up from me. I don't know anything about air conditioner's though so I'm not sure how to properly check them out.
We're planning a trip to CA this summer and we'll have room on the trailer for several if somebody out there wanted one. I'm on a tight budget as most of us probably are, so it would be nice to cover my costs and get one or two people a nice deal also. Any experts out there?
Who knows- maybe some of ya'll are looking for an auxilury braking system??
On a side note, two of the TSC's in my area are having a clearance on paint right now- maybe it's company-wide. It's the paint several of ya'll have used on your buses. They're selling it for about $10 a gallon. Looks like I'm painting my bus Regal Blue with a gloss-white roof (w/ ceramic micro-sheres added)
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Ok, this isn't a wet blanket post. I'm just throwing out another viewpoint for consideration.

I don't know what you'll drive to Mississippi from NC and back but it seems to me you'll have a fair amount of time and money into the trip; all to (maybe) purchase A/C units in unkown condition.

Brand new RV A/C units are not extremely expensive and come with warranties. Personally I'd rather skimp somewhere else, save the cost of the trip (and the possibility the units are not worth it), save the time, and find good pricing on a new unit (eBay maybe?). I would also think there must be some take-outs or refurbished units around in the Southeast as well.

As I said, this is just food for thought.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I didn't say this, but I'm off work next week with spring break and where the units are is about 40 miles from my home town where my mother lives. So, even if the units were trashed we're 75% sure we were going down to visit. For me the 800 + shipping for 2 new ones versus the possibility of going thru and finding 3 or 4 that work great and selling a couple at a nice deal for somebody to cover my costs sounds like I could live without the warranty.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Ah ha!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote