Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: BlueBird
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 54
Anybody use auto adhesive sound/heat mats in their bus?

Tho I'm currently still a resident in rivetville taking all the panels off, I'm starting to plan my insulation, I'm most likely going with rigid foam for the ease and affordability plus I don't plan on being in really hot or cold places too long. I do want to reuse the original ceiling panels, so I measure just under 2" space for insulation...thinking maybe get 1-1/2" foam board but slap some auto heat/sound mat to the metal first. It worked pretty well insulating my old 70s truck. Anyone else use it or have any input why this wouldn't be a good idea??

nightfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
the more you do the happier you will be.

you don't necessarily need to cover the interior 100%. pieces of mat work well to deaden a metal panel. but more is better. i have small pieces of mat stuck on to large rattling panels on my dash and they quieted them up fast.

i'd cover the wheel wells and as much of the drivers area as possible. i saw once and someday will copy..... someone did a nice job covering the doghouse with mat and then glueing auto carpet on top.

good luck
Old 06-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
I know this is an old post and this may be a stupid question, but what is adhesive sound/heat mats? I have an International FE that has the dog house right next to the driver. It is hot and loud and I am looking at ways I could safely insulate that area. I plan on building a cover over it and insulating underneath that cover, but can I also insulate under the dog house itself and if so with what? Also what do I need to use around the driver's area to make that area cooler?
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I have pulled up the carpeting on the floor of old GM cars and extracted the pillow case like package of insulation the factory laid on the metal floor right above the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. I don't know what it is but it works great as a heat shield and is easy to come by.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I have pulled up the carpeting on the floor of old GM cars and extracted the pillow case like package of insulation the factory laid on the metal floor right above the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. I don't know what it is but it works great as a heat shield and is easy to come by.
Jack
We have a junk yard close to us that is a pick it yourself set up. They give you a wagon and you go in, look for whatever you want, get it out yourself, load it into your wagon, bring it back to the office and pay. You can take in hand tools, but no power tools. I wonder if we could get to that 'pillow case like pkg of insulation' with just hand tools?

We also have an 18 Wheeler junk yard about 45 minutes away from us. I've never been to that one, but have been wanting to go, to get a big truck horn. I wonder if they might have something like that?
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
A nice sharp razor would get you to the pad real quick!
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote