Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Anybody used a rear liftgate

Hey I just found this website and it looks GREAT for info and pics. I have been thinking about making a Toyhauler out of a school bus. Front half RV and rea for street rod hauling. Got a T bucket but it has very low ground clearence and if I do not raise the front of my trailer up when I load it the oil pan and/or trans pan wiil drag. So I know I would have a problem using a rear tailgate/ramp setup on the high rearend of a bus.

Been thinking about a rear HD hydraulic liftgate off a semi trailer. I have attached a few pics to show what I am thinking about
Attached Thumbnails
July18_51sml.jpg   MaxonLiftgate04.jpg   AnthonyLiftgate03.jpg  

blownt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Anybody used a rear liftgate

search some recent posts. saw a bus where the guy made the rear a fold down door like a toy hauler and there was ramps inside that held the car in place.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Anybody used a rear liftgate

I have used such lift-gates at work, and they are definitely a great invention. Installing it on a bus would be a major project, but everything is possible with enough time and money.

You will have to lengthen the lift deck so you can get all four tires on it, and this may not be easy -- but everything is possible with enough time and money.

But I'm thinking you may be able to build a ramp that you drive up on. First, you would "beaver-tail" the floor in the bus, with a gentle enough "hump" that the car can drive over it. Then you would build a bi-fold ramp, like in the drawing below. Drive the car on, lift the ramp to level with an electric winch or two, and drive in.

Here is what I have:

Come to think of it, if you beaver-tail the floor a lot more than I did, and use a full bi-fold ramp, you may be able to just drive the car right in. I beaver-tailed mine just a little bit, to have room for a trailer hitch.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote