Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone buy a bus from First Student?

I have been talking to first student about buying a rear engine bus. Probably an 84 pass rear engine. 2002 with Cat 3126 and 3060 tranny lists at $7500, but price is negotiable.
Just wondering if anyone has bought a bus from them and if so what kind of experience was it?

Thanks

Brettpearson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

No One? Really?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I tried talking to them but had a tough time. The person I talked to didn't return my calls twice, then expected me to know precisely what unit I wanted to buy off their stock list. I'm not saying they're bad people, but they aren't "dealers" - they don't have much incentive to spend a few hours walking somebody through options and finding a good "fit" for a budget. Also, their prices were high for the ones I was interested in.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Used buses from First Student can be a real crap shoot.

It all depends upon where it saw service.

I have seen some of their buses that were so worn out it was a wonder they could leave their lot under the own power. I have seen others that looked like the proverbial cream puff.

I have seen some that have seen excellent PM and others that have not had any PM.

I have seen some that didn't have any rust and some that were rusted through and it didn't really matter where the bus last saw service. First Student tends to move their equipment around to where they need buses so a rust bucket may show up at a terminal where salt is never used.

In general, First Student does not get rid of anything if it still has any usable life in it.

It is definitely buyer beware.

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks all, I appreciate the input
Old 05-20-2015, 05:34 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blu Bird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat
Rated Cap: 72
I was talking with F.S. Recently and was going to buy from them but another bus closer and cheaper became available. F.S. is willing to drop prices real low right now, they're trying to move the older stock to make room for the stuff going out of service this summer. Anything older then an 03 is priced to move. As another posted, buyer beware as F.S. buses are known to get beat pretty hard, not only by they're drivers but by the summer camps they loan them out to during the summer months.
Wandering Websters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
I bought both mine from FS, but it was in 2005 and 2006, so things have probably changed. For one thing, FS bought Laidlaw a few years ago.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Websters View Post
... As another posted, buyer beware as F.S. buses are known to get beat pretty hard, not only by they're drivers but by the summer camps they loan them out to during the summer months.
Quite a few of FS buses here are rusty, though it's difficult to know how much is due to the fact that it's, well, the Midwest. Seems that some other operators' buses are a little "cleaner."