Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone doing a conversion in New England? CT MA RI

We are thinking of getting a bus for ski trips and camping, the GF and I are torn between a blank slate and design ourselves or buy one that some one has started/completed and be ready to go!

is anyone in New England doing a conversion and would like to trade labor for answers to dumb questions?

Thanks

KandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
I have a shuttle bus I built for camping I could show you. I don't need any labor-but can be bribed with a pizza. I'm in central Ct.
But you can gather a whole bunch info just checking the build threads in here. And with the start of any project, you need to figure out goals:
What do you have for a budget?
What do you plan on doing with the bus? How much use a year?
What skills/tools do you have-or are willing to get?
How much time do you have?
Also importiant-where are you going to keep it/build it?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Morning sdwarf36,

You are really quite close to us, we're in Norwich.

Some great questions thanks!!

What do you have for a budget? - around $10-15k depends a lot on what we get in the bus, I would like to buy the blank canvas and set it up for camping, spend the money over time.

What do you plan on doing with the bus? How much use a year? it would be used for ski weekends in VT, drive up Friday night and sleep in the parking lot for the weekend, ideally 10 weekends in the winter. then in the summer it would get used for at least 2 longer camping trips and possibly some mountain bike weekend race trips. I'd like it to have a wood stove, a king or queen bed, bunks for 4 (we have 3 kids between us) and a seating area for travel, possibly a booth set up that could be come additional sleeping. and a small shower area with porta potty for emergency bathroom breaks.

What skills/tools do you have-or are willing to get? I can plumb, wire and build everything for a regular house. I'd like to get a welder and pick up some welding skills.

How much time do you have? - this is the kicker, I have my evenings to work on it.

Also important-where are you going to keep it/build it? build would be at the house, on the driveway depending on how long a bus we get, and storage will probably be at work, I could build at work as well but I would need a generator to power tools (I'd rather not use their power) but I could use a generator anyway!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
It sounds like you got the pieces of the puzzle. Skills-budget-time+goals.
Your travels plans are the same as mine-trips to Vt. mountians. Except you race down what I race up. (Okemo + Burke.)
No'ich huh? You're only a 1/2 hour away. Contact me via PM + come over + check out my bus.
Mine is set up for summer use-but there are a bunch of threads in here with all kinds on insulation + stove ideas.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Just outside of New Haven CT
Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36 View Post
It sounds like you got the pieces of the puzzle. Skills-budget-time+goals.
Your travels plans are the same as mine-trips to Vt. mountians. Except you race down what I race up. (Okemo + Burke.)
No'ich huh? You're only a 1/2 hour away. Contact me via PM + come over + check out my bus.
Mine is set up for summer use-but there are a bunch of threads in here with all kinds on insulation + stove ideas.

Thanks! Will do!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Just outside of New Haven CT
Are visitors allowed? Willing to lend a hand!
Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

You could do 2-visits for one trip: I'm only about 10 miles from Swarf in East Hampton. We have a 35' Thomas converted for summer use: chasing mtb and paddleboard events. Ours is just about what you are thinking of short the woodstove. We have a big bed + four bunks. Kept it as simple as we could to keep power use down. PM and stop by for a look. Bob
BelltownBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelltownBikes View Post
You could do 2-visits for one trip: I'm only about 10 miles from Swarf in East Hampton. We have a 35' Thomas converted for summer use: chasing mtb and paddleboard events. Ours is just about what you are thinking of short the woodstove. We have a big bed + four bunks. Kept it as simple as we could to keep power use down. PM and stop by for a look. Bob
Thanks Bob!