Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: bluebird
Anyone Gone to Mexico in a Skoolie?

We're heading down to Mexico for five months in our skoolie and was wondering if anyone else here has done that? If so, we could use some advice. We picked a Bluebird specifically because of our destination knowing most buses from here to Guatemala are Bluebirds. Any border problems or payoffs needed? Thanks for your time.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone Gone to Mexico in a Skoolie?

CCJ - what is that and how can I see some of those posts regarding Mexico.

Smitty - you'd better stay out of LA because there are drug deaths there too - oh, and Philly, and DC and NYC and Miami and Seattle.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Anyone Gone to Mexico in a Skoolie?

I am all for going to Mexico. A beautiful country with beautiful people. But what Smitty wrote has some merit. L.A., Philly, and every other town in America doesn't touch what is going on in the border towns. I say go for the trip, just don't stop till you get at least 10 or 20 miles in. After you pass the border town things are pretty nice. I spent 3 years in New Mexico and went into Juarez about twice a month. I also spent some time in San Diego this year and went down to Tijuana. Both great cities. Just not so great along the border. Very Very dangerous these days. Had a couple friends of the family killed this year there. Not just shot. Murdered in a way that should never happen to anyone. So go, but be careful the first few miles. And eat some food for me.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I spent most of last year in Mexico and Guatemala. It's a lot of hype. Americans - we like fear sprinkled in our journalism. It sells more burgers and cars.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

its not like it was in the late 60's and early 70's,,,,, take a lot of pacso and your pistoly.....

maybe able to get a roll and tuck seats in your bus if you bring some wetbacks into the USA ....just remember the movie ,,,up in smoke with C/C.......lol
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

It's been many years since my last trip to Mexico but I used to go there often, and I doubt that things have changed much. Bring bribe money! I don't know what they expect now, but back in the day $20 would get you through most situations. Mainly the border and checkpoint is where you may need to offer "tips" for services rendered; and perhaps if a Federale nabs you.

I've got a friend down there who has driven back and forth over the border many times recently; I'll try to ask him what it's like these days if he is still on email. May depend on whether his windmill is catching favorable winds out there in the desert this time of year... hmmm, now that I think of it, he's a pretty "unconventional" kind of guy, as I remember now he told me puts some sort of "mojo" on the Federales and they let him go.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Do they sell this mojo somewhere special or is he picking it out in the desert - perhaps under some cowpies?
Old 11-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I was thinking of a more shamanistic kind of mojo, but now that you mention it, he does have a lot of that native mojo naturally growing around his part of the desert. Don't use too much though, 'cause that kind of mojo can make you crazy hombre!
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Serious MOJO! Last year we were in the middle of nowhere Mexico and a guy came up to us - dreaded and filthy and asked for one peso. He was super dark skinned with blue eyes. He was obviously an American lost in Mexico. Does that sound like your friend??????? Only school bus people!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
Bus Nut

http://www.phrannie.org/mexico.html
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Skoolie

I'm driving down to Veracruz in Jan. to do some whitewater boating. Not taking Lurlene but would like to. Every year for 12 years I would make this trek. 12 hr drive from Matamoros. Mexico is wonderful! The people are great and with effectively no infrastructure very resourceful if you need help. I don't have the time to type all the times we had some type of trouble and always had someone come along and help and ended up making a friend for life. Yeah don't be stupid, and be friendly and you should be ok. (Don't do like I do and hang out at the street corner taco stand, get drunk and BS the locals..I speak good Spanish) I hope one day to own land down there somewhere so I'll have a true getaway. I have a lot of Mexican friends now and I wouldn't trade my experiences down south of the border for anything. One of these days I'll take Lurlene for an extended trip to Mexico.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Bus Nut

http://panamaorbust.com/
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote