Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Anyone have little kids help?

My kids ask to help work on the bus almost every day. Most days, the answer has been no, unfortunately. It has either been far too cold, or I’ve been working on something too dangerous. When it warms up a bit, I want to let them be a part of things.

Anyone here have children help with their build? How old were they? What did you have them do? How did it work out?

Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Absolutely let them help. We have 6 kids ranging from 3-16 and they all "help". It's all about building great memories and the build is part of that. There is something for everyone to do.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:44 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
My kids ask to help work on the bus almost every day. Most days, the answer has been no, unfortunately. It has either been far too cold, or I’ve been working on something too dangerous. When it warms up a bit, I want to let them be a part of things.

Anyone here have children help with their build? How old were they? What did you have them do? How did it work out?
we had 6 kids, a small acreage ( 25 acres ) horses, sheep, fences, a small forest - the kids helped with everything, including the use of sharp tools ( having been well taught about their safe use ) the kids helped build fences, helped train the ponies, were ski racing by the time some were 6 years old, and winning horse competitions at the same age - while I still haven't converted a bus, I did build the house I'm still in - when promised help didn't show up the day I planned on drywalling the ceiling, my 10 year old son was already handy enough that the two of us got the 12' sheets of drywall up ourselves - my eldest will be 60 next Sept, my youngest 46, my son is in the process of buying this property the family was raised on - my family are all close, and as adults, each have told me how much they appreciate the time I spent with them when they were growing up - they are strong people now, independant and hard working, and for the most part, make good decisions - it's gratifying to see many of the same types of involvement between parent and grandchild, or great grandchild happening today in my family - of course get your kids involved while you can - the kids that don't get involved are the ones seen hanging out on the street as teen agers, complaining about the school they go to, the people around them, and either not wanting to get involved, or too scared to get involved in much
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:36 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Children need to be part of it, teach them all you can let them be part of the dream, and participate any way they can. If it is cold dress them warm enough, or they will learn soon enough to dress warm.

I do not have children, that may change. However have worked with children enough to know how wonderful it is for me to have them help with projects, and how much they appreciate being taught and being valued.

Sleddgracer has really said it well. I hope you will not only let them help but encourage them to help.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
we had 6 kids, a small acreage ( 25 acres ) horses, sheep, fences, a small forest - the kids helped with everything, including the use of sharp tools ( having been well taught about their safe use) . . .
Sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Children need to be part of it, teach them all you can let them be part of the dream, and participate any way they can. If it is cold dress them warm enough, or they will learn soon enough to dress warm.

I do not have children, that may change. However have worked with children enough to know how wonderful it is for me to have them help with projects, and how much they appreciate being taught and being valued.

Sleddgracer has really said it well. I hope you will not only let them help but encourage them to help.
It's been between 0 and -20 when I've been working so far this winter and I haven't felt I could supervise them well enough when I'm focused elsewhere.

I'll be excited for spring.

I helped my grandfather build a playhouse in the backyard when I was about 4. It took him a week and is still standing (having been partly rebuilt twice). I want my kids to have some of the same experience.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I have 4 (3 boys) - all three boys ask me constantly "are we going to work on the bus today, Dad?" It has been very cold outside for us as well, so they are inside building different layouts out of boxes and cardboard. Their mother likes it until its dinner time....

I remember when we were removing the seats. The two older boys had "ratchet races" for undoing the bolts. The youngest (3 at the time) went around with his mother picking up the bolts and washers and placing them in bags. The youngest also was picking up cardboard and other "soft" debris and throwing it out the side door into a trashcan. Needless to say more was laying around it than was in it, but it was still VERY cute....

As for the dangerous stuff (i.e. older boys) - TEACHING MOMENT!!! "What happens if you are under this panel when it falls?? CRASH!" (No, he wasn't under it.) EYES WIDE OPEN! Then the lightbulb of comprehension - "Ohhhhh...."

All that to say my viewpoint is this: the more that you SAFELY introduce your children to this stuff, the better off they will be as adults. Don't shield them from the danger, but explain the danger and what precautions are to be taken to mitigate the danger. Only then will they be able recognize danger when it presents and the actions to take to avoid or prevent injury. For me, this is an invaluable part of their road to adulthood.

My daughter, eh, she's a horselover like her mother. She already deals with danger on that level. She isn't really involved with the bus.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #8
Bus Nut

All three of my kids want to help. I'm doing Army stuff again right now so not home. I spent about 4-1/2 months away from home last year. I think I'll be gone about 8 months this next year. Hence, my desire to continue working in the bus even in winter in interior Alaska.

While I'm gone this time, my wife is organizing the garage and building me a work bench. First project when I get back is hanging another storage box under the bus. Then, I'll have a week off and my father to help me...

We'll be back to 11+ hours of daylight and temperatures usually above 0. Some days may even get up into the 20s.

So, what project next? Electrical? Plumbing? Heating?