Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Anyone Know of a Bus 13 Feet or More in Height ??

It's a little late for asking isn't it?

We kept our bus the original height. Since we like to travel on the primary (US) and secondary (State & County) highways, we didn't want to do something that would lock us into interstate travel only. We also like campgrounds with trees. A tall RV would put limits on the public & rural campgrounds we like.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
It's a little late for asking isn't it?

We kept our bus the original height. Since we like to travel on the primary (US) and secondary (State & County) highways, we didn't want to do something that would lock us into interstate travel only. We also like campgrounds with trees. A tall RV would put limits on the public & rural campgrounds we like.
I did a Google search on the lovely 1950's Greyhound Scenicruisers and they're about 11 feet tall.

Lorna's knowledge and experience as a Skoolie make her a a great source of info and advice here. Things I've learned from her (and other Skoolie.net members) have led me to modify my design ideas and I don't even have a bus yet!

My two cents are based on experience with my Winnebago, which is about the same height as your unmodified Wayne. Residential streets can pack nasty surprises on occasion; it's EZ to overestimate the clearance or fail to notice a low limb. On a trip last year I heard a stomach-turning whack! The tree almost decapitated one of the plumbing vent stacks. Lost a clearance light lens or two. Dented the aluminum "skin." Glad the tree missed the air conditioner - and failed to gouge holes in the coach body. The vent cap stayed on, but its base was cracked badly enough to leak durning a subsequent downpour. That vent stack is right over the wardrobe closet and when I opened it...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #3

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Flat Nose
Engine: 5.9

I drive a Pervost H3, with the awnings, ac units, satellite dish & camera on top. It is exactly 13'6" after we lowered the air suspension 3/4 of inch to get the unit legal. It is great to have the extra room as long as you can stay on major roadways and do not have 50 mph wind gust hitting in the side. This unit weights 54,500 lbs and when you get hit by a side wind it feels like a sail boat on rough seas. You always to watch for tree limbs, power lines and low bridges & underpasses. I would not consider going over 12ft unless it is a special purpose unit like mine. It takes the fun out of driving at times and will give you a thrill in bad conditions.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

One reason for having a tag axle...
Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Driving my shuttle bus around yesterday on some of the main residential streets of my province's capital city was a nerve wrecking experience. a semi ahead of me with a tank on a flatbed was trimming off branches with the railings on top of that tank! then in the cemetery i was pushing through trees sometimes there to. cant imagine what 13' tall would be like!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
...a semi ahead of me with a tank on a flatbed was trimming off branches with the railings on top of that tank! then in the cemetery i was pushing through trees sometimes there to. cant imagine what 13' tall would be like!
One of my favorite destinations is on a semirural property with a long tree-lined drive where big bus tires have a distinct advantage over the 16.5" RV type (not to mention the likes of a Dodge Neon). Driving my Winnie (9-1/4 feet at the sides, 10 feet at the A/C) into there is like a slalom course with the pylons suspended in the air below clearance height. Some regular campsites, like Lorna mentioned, are the same way. Unlike typical RVs, a dognose skoolie would give me a hood to stand on while sawing off limbs that are too low - with the property owner's permission, of course. (Climb up and saw, drive forward, repeat steps 1 and 2...)

A 13-footer would beget a "holy ****!" from more than a few campsite owners. My roof-boost would give seven feet of headroom in the middle. However, if the bus I eventually get already has 6.5 feet, I likely wouldn't do the raise at all.