Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I'm at that point of wondering what to do with the lights as well. I plan on turning the rears into STTs, with ambers on the outside and reds on the inside, but the front I'm not so sure about. I'm going to do ambers on the inside, but wanted to do some kind of extra forward lighting on the outside. I didn't know there were any rules requiring them to be covered. I don't forsee me getting out of the bus to remove the covers when I need the extra light.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 97
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
i like the idea of running them to the brakes and blinkers. i would like to have a nice rear light for backing into the woods.
Arvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Seems like I recall someone (possibly here) who rigged metal covers/shields for the off-road lamps they replaced their flashers with and they were raised and lowered with a small motor or actuator operated from the pilot's chair. Maybe even just a cable pull.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I had planned on roof mounted front and rear floodlights, already have them in my shop. Maybe I can just go with that, since my brain can't figure out how to make a retractible cover that would look decent coverd and uncovered, and not make so many holes through the front. I guess I could have both on each side be amber blnkers but that seems a bit rediculous. I'd just like to preserve the look and have it be functional as well.

Roof (and side) mounted floods could be made to tilt, so hopefully that would be sufficient. Also, what natster said, a solid lightbar could be useful. I'm guessing it would need a cover as well.

So much for my idea of making a locomotive looking over & under setup in the middle of the front at the top like this:
Old 02-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
I'd actually completely forgotten about the front flashers, so after posting/reading posts here I removed the reds from in front and moved the ambers to the outside holes. I'll cover the empty holes with metal; as much as I'd like to increase the amount of light in front of the bus, I don't forsee trying to take my 40' bus down any roads that are so "complicated" as to warrant having coverable flood lights in front. The ambers are now extra/high running/turn lights.

I removed the (rather worthless) backup lights and replaced them with LEDs which are a whole lot brighter. I'm picking up a ten-year-old but unused backup camera system next week, so that will probably give me better visibility in back than any amount of additional light could.

@Rhombus, I like where you're trying to go with the train look. I've been looking for a cow-catcher to mount on Velda the Destroyer in case of zombie apocalypse.
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom, lighting, lights