Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: RTSII
Engine: 6V92TA
Rated Cap: 55
Send a message via AIM to BBTC2K Send a message via Yahoo to BBTC2K
Anyone thought of the Vision?

I have a very good friend, and she is chomping at the bit to convert a 2004 BB Vision into a RV. The bus she wants used to be the one she drove, and she's patiently awaiting them to retire it...

Has anyone else here considered one for a future conversion? Namely the 2004-2008 model?

Shawn

proud single custodial dad to 18yr old son Jeremey, who wants to try his hand at driving my RTS
BBTC2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Re: Anyone thought of the Vision?

If she can afford what she will probably pay for such a newer model, I would say sure. Go for it. Me personally, I'm 6'1" and most Bluebirds do not have a raised roof, so I wouldn't consider it if you or her are over 6 feet.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

She is 5'6 and simply loves it...lol

Shawn

proud single custodial dad to 18yr old son Jeremey, who wants to try his hand at driving my RTS
Old 11-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I'm a huge fan of modern vehicles and their electronics. That said, I know nothing of modern electronic diesels other than the theory behind their operation. This alone might make me to be weary of a bus with an electronic engine and transmission. That said, Vision certainly was an appropriate name for that model.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I know that those buses did have their issues, especially electrically...She just loves the looks of it, and she actually drove it pretty much since it was new...So I think that's a part of it.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

Theres a school bus forum that talked about them. With all of the OEMs buying up the bus builders, it left bluebird with their you know what in their hands. So they came up with the vision which to me is a pretty decent looking bus with good visibility. It is a standard BB body with an 8.1 gas or or a Cummins. It kept bluebird in the game when Intl/Ward/IC and Freightliner/Thomas were poise to control the school bus market. Ford had some sort of agreement with one of the builders, I believe IH, which is why you have not seen any modern Ford chassis available. The municipal market is funny where the manufacturers dictate the specs in order to get their particular products bought. It is not a normal buy what you like environment.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Bus Nut

ford sold off it's big truck buisiness to sterling/freightliner/daimler benz, in 98 or 99, no more trucks larger than a f550, and now the sterling band has been put away so its freightliner/daimler benz. IH actually assembles the ford 450/550 and was working on a deal to do the same for gm. IIRC IH is in bed with amtran and freightliner owns thomas, someone wa assembleing complete chassis for bb and also several large pusher coaches, monarch comes to mind which would be forest river/warren buffet.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote