Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60
Anyone thought of using some double doors on the back?

We are going to be getting out bus this spring, and starting the modifications immediately. One of the key considerations for us is the ability to load our stuff through the back, especially our motorcycles, kayaks, etc. The kayaks would be no problem, of course, but the motorcycles are a different matter entirely. Not to mention loading up a couch. Hey, gotta have someplace to read, right?
One of my ideas is to cut the back off of an ambulance, and create a new rear entrance using the double doors, because I haven't seen any other slick way of dealing with this type of situation.
The way I see it, we will need to do some welding, some sheet metal work, etc to make it fit just so. Of course, some of the ambulance doors I have seen are a bit short, so that may need to be addressed as well.
It's obviously going to need to shut real tight, to prevent water and dirt and dust and exhaust from entering the bus from the rear, so simply making the entire door is definitely out, in my case. I need something to start from.

Anyone else considered something like this?
Definitely looking for suggestions.

dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
Re: Anyone thought of using some double doors on the back?

DANG SMITTY!!! It was enough of a PITA to get my Sportster in the kitchen door by myself, let alone a full dress one!!
1969 Chevy Bluebird

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote