Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Approaches to underside storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
My experience with those kind of L bracket with brace bolted to a frame rail on semi is that if you don't the outside in some way they will break. Either just above the angle brace, or just below the lower bolt holding it to the frame, especially if the box is carrying very much weight. For the batteries, I wouldn't put them in a box at all, just a door with a slide out tray of some kind.
What do you need to do the outside?....I was thinking of building some similar L-brackets and am looking for some insight.

The floor beams on my bus are galvanized so there goes welding on them. The shape of the floor braces are U -shaped with the open part against the floor so making "clamps" to go into the C or I beam is a no go. So I was thinking of building brackets as described bolted to the frame. Then lay treated 2x6 between the braces (flat to make a bottom) bolted at the end to each brace. But instead of trying to build a box, I've gotten ahold of a used aluminum diamond plate truck tool box for cheap, I'm going to lay it on its side with the lid opening upward, and bolt it to the 2x6. I'm not going to rely on the tool box latches to hold it shut, I'm going to get some rubber "hood hold down" latches and use them to keep the lid shut. Thought I would give it a try since you can find used truck toolboxes on craiglist for cheap (as long as you don't want brand new shiney). We'll see how it turns out.
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Make a box that fits perfectly between the frame of the bus, and the inside of the skirt.

One side bolts to the side of the frame.

The other side rivets to the skirt skin.

Cut out the hole for the door in the skirt.

Mount the door to the skirt.

By doing it this way, all connections, and forces are in sheer. The easiest way to connect two objects. Also nothing will crack or bend. Everything will be able to flex as needed.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward
The floor beams on my bus are galvanized so there goes welding on them.
What's with all this hate of welding galvanized steel? I've seen it all over skoolie.net. I understand the potential risk of feeling like crap for a couple days if too much is inhaled, but it's fairly easy to avoid. My bus has (or had. now partially rusted) a fully galvanized body and I've FCAW,GMAW welded the metal successfully many times. These 3 common sense rules have worked for me:
1. Don't weld indoors unless there is loads of ventilation. I conveniently had the windows removed in the bus during all of the indoor welding.
2. Keep your face as far from the plume as possible. This is the big one.
3. If you're welding in an area that can 'pool' the fumes (ie. under the bus, welding the bottom of the floor) and it's a perfectly still day use a fan to lightly push the fumes out.
4. If you're really concerned grab a half-face respirator and p100 filter cartridges (I think. the carbon ones) which filter welding fumes. Both are cheap. I've used them during a handful of welds, but for the most part haven't needed them.

Just did a quick Google search for something to back me up. I've read this information from many sources, but this was the first result I came across today.

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
Quote:
Zinc Fumes -- A Safety Hazard?
...Extensive research into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated by the body without complications or chronic effects.
It's a decent read. Check out the part about lead content as well. Sort of alarming at first, but it sounds like the chances of actually getting much of it into the human body are slim.

I think the biggest concern about welding these buses are the long-term effects - and no - I'm not talking about health issues. I'm talking about crappy welds fatiguing and breaking and batteries, tanks, generators, etc skipping down the road at 100kph
Old 03-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Jazty, you were right--it is a good read. I for one am glad to see a fellow skoolie who is willing to take the time to research and post such info. The approach sure is better than the "trust me, I just know so don't question me" approach so common to these threads.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

Its just what I have been taught, though there seems to be ways around the risk it still isn't something I wish to do. So I'm looking at an alternative with bolting braces through prexisting holes in the frame. We'll see how it turns out.
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Jazty, you were right--it is a good read. I for one am glad to see a fellow skoolie who is willing to take the time to research and post such info. The approach sure is better than the "trust me, I just know so don't question me" approach so common to these threads.
I agree. However, some things are already proven and most don't need them to be proven again.

Like rivets. The bus builders already proved rivets are the way to go.

You put that one to rest with the document you posted in the RIVET vs SPOT/PLUG WELD vs "BOLTS" vs GLUE etc. thread. With that kind of info, people can lay their fears to rest.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=467195

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Comment moved to Everything Else.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote