Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: audio wiring question

Most modern school busses have pa system in them, but prison bus may be different. Also, most all wiring is initiated at the point above the driver's head, as that is where the radio and often the 2 way system back to the district is located. you probably gotta take off the upper panels for that part. If you are wiring in a jack and a rheostat by each speaker, i think all you gotta do is to remove the speaker, extend the wires as necessary, put the volume control in line first, and then your jack, and speaker. you would need enough extra length of wire so you can assemble it. Ya also gotta drill the holes for the 2 extra devices close to the speaker hole and re assemble after you have tested it for operation.. Not hard, but gonna be time consuming. You could also bring those controls out on the little L shaped brackets and screw them to the ceiling, but it wouldnt look as clean. And if you want to get really elaborate, run the wiring, etc into the back of the seat in front of each passenger....

Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

why not just have a separate dvd amp for the seat headphones and keep the radio/pa system in the overhead speakers? I dont think in that case you would need mini amps.. just like a 50w one like i have which runs my speakers just fine.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Few thoughts....

On a PA... I would just use a cb radio that has a PA output. Connect this to a amp that has line level speaker input versus rca input? This is what I am planning out doing for the extrnal speaker for PA. Its more to mess with people that an actual purpose. Kind of like the Mr Microphone commerical? This would also help if your in trouble and no cell coverage.

As for headphone. You may want to look in to headphones that use IR to get their signal. This would solve your connection problem and not have to deal with wiring up jacks to each station. If you do wire it up you will need some type of impeadance balancing possible. You just cant tie them all together. The resistace will smoke the output of the amp. I may be wrong here but just thinking out loud. If it were me.... I would be looking for some type of multi selectable input switch as well as types of output. That way you can choose your source input (dvd, cd, ipod,etc) and what you route them to external speakers outside the bus. inside bus, headphone jacks, PA system?

I am going to use some of these same thoughts so Ill be on the look to see if I can find some of these things. I am a ways away but ill look now.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

WHAT are you guys talking about?? My 8 track still works just fine--as does my Comador 64.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

8 track... your fancey.... Im still kickin the 78 lp records.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

i bang on a tree with my rock...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

'49, I just climb the tree and pick the coconuts! BTY My grandmothers "crank" type phone works just as well as my comadore 64. You just tap the hang up 6 times for 6 and 3 times for 3 etc you get the picture? and the call isn't traceable for billing! TOP THAT!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
Bus Crazy