Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 70
Automatic Transmission Fluid Leaking

My Skoolie (Vanderbus) is a 90 GMC with a Ward body. We where on our maiden voyage and all went fine. Our MPG seems to be really good. But when we where returning home my wife who was driving the dingy radioed that we had developed a sudden smoke cloud. Upon investigating I found tranny fluid on the exhaust and under carriage works. I got it on home and checked every thing finding no leaks. Then I discovered being over full on fluid. Do you (or anyone) think I hurt my rig in any way? There is nothing actively leaking. Those Allison Transmissions are suppose to be tough arent they? thanks... my email is wdbowers@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
vanderbus1.JPG  

wdbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid Leaking

What type of allison is it? I just swaped my AT 545. Mine overheated and spewed at fluid on my turbo and smoked the inside the hell out. Stinky stuff. It was obvious though that mine overheated and smelt burnt.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 70

I cant say which Allison it is but I do not think it overheated. I never got any smoke in the coach. It was more like a short burst went out and onto the exhaust, drive train and floorboards. I have been told to check my radiator for fluids in the water. I did not drive but about 3 more miles after the incident.

Will
wdbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Check the tranny fluid for signs of water also. Radiator water and tranny fluid are often just a thin copper tube wall apart, and fluids can travel thru a crack in either direction, depending on prevailing pressures and whatnot.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote