Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Awnings on Buses?

We have figured out the only way to get an awning to cover over the entry door would be to use a rope & pole awning. David & I have been talking about it over dinner. So it looks like we may go that route... later.

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Has anybody thought about getting some of those hefty magnets from Harbor Freight, and using those to hold a tarp on the bus. In a big wind the magnets might lift, but I'll bet they won't get far from the bus.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Has anybody thought about getting some of those hefty magnets from Harbor Freight, and using those to hold a tarp on the bus. In a big wind the magnets might lift, but I'll bet they won't get far from the bus.
I have visions of the wind catching that awning just right and sending those magnets sailing off and landing somewhere unpleasant.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
I have visions of the wind catching that awning just right and sending those magnets sailing off and landing somewhere unpleasant.
From page 1.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Am I the only one who finds it amazing that people will use concrete blocks or little (or big) buckets filled with concrete to tie down their RV mounted awnings? David & I used to walk around the State Park we stayed in after a good storm.... to look at the damage the "tie outs" did to the RVs. My fav was the one that had the awning neatly wrapped up over the roof all the way around to the ground on the other side. The two concrete blocks had put a nice neat concrete block sized hole in the windshield in the front. And a nice hole right thru the siding towards the rear. You could see right into the RV thru the hole.
I don't think the huge magnets would be a whole lot different than the concrete buckets/blocks. I would rather lose a cheap awning than pay to fix someone's RV. I worried about the DollarTree screw-in-the-ground dog tie outs we used flying off during a wind storm and putting a hole in an RV or someone.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #25
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

If you get one used make sure that you get measurements where all of the mounts go on the RV if possible. It will make your installation much easier. I put a used one on our bus and had to fabricate the lower mounts to make it fit. They are great to have and make sure that you get the small safety belts that secure it for the road.
The other thing that takes some thought is the cutting edge at the top of your door as it hits the angle of the awning. This is all set by how high you mount the grip strip on the side of your rig. If you are into fabrication check out Hannibal awnings. I was thinking of doing something like this but found a used unit on craigslist.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Question and maybe this should be tied to the other thread aboutthen square awnings thread but ill ask here...

When those of you who have put awnings on your bus where are they breaking? What parts are weak. Reason why I ask I dont mind making a redneck non pretty version of an awning but want to make sure i put money in the right places. I dont mind if it looks like a medevil torture device or not if it works and lasts. If it takes 45 minutes to put up so be it? any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
Almost There

No matter what, it should be easy to set up and even faster to stumble out of your rig and take down when a storm hits.
Tracy
Old 03-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Thats true but they way I build most things metal most of us will be dust by the time they rust out if I have any say in it. My back yard smoker.... well the fire box alone is close to 450 lbs. So yeah I get a little carried away.

No plans or anything just started welding things together
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
Almost There

Nice smoker,
Nothing wrong with overbuilding, it's just another way of saying custom built to designer specs.
Tracy
Old 10-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #30
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
Im getting ready to install an awning I recently purchased..10' x 12' with hand crank. It is going to replace a sunshade sail that was 16'x16'x16' triangle. the sun sail just wasn't practical compared to a retractable awning. I bought the awning off Ebay for $116...just need to get some 5" stainless steel bolts so that I can go all the way thru the bus body to give enough support to hold it and crank it in and out during excessive winds...
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: ICCORP
Chassis: CE300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 16
The think I don’t like about awnings is that the suppor arms sometimes get I the way of the mirrors and you can’t see well past them. If I were to get an awning for my bus I would probably go with one that did. It have support arms attached to the side of the bus. But those tend to be more pricey.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Or you could space the mirror out farther.

Yeah you can see my awning arms in the mirror but they aren't in the way, but if they would have been, that was the solution that I came up with.
Booyah45828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #33

Year: 1959
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 235
Rated Cap: Short Bus
work ok?

I know it's not a "skoolie", but I use it like one; so hope it's ok to post here.
I use my '55 Grumman for camping a bit and what to use an awning, rather than the pop-up you see here.
I will use the roof rack (shown here) to put my solar panel on.
I want to use an 8'x12' awning, made of the same material you see on the '46 Higgins. It's not very heavy so should be ok.
I'm not interested it drilling and bolting into and through the Grumman. It's still pretty original and I'd like to keep it that way.
So, here's my plan and I'd like your opinion - constructive criticism appreciated.

I was thinking to make a roof rack out of 1" square tubing. Just 2 pieces running side to side that I will attach the roof rack to (the one you see in the pic). I will also need to make the gutter rail brackets, that I will weld the square tubing to. The distance from the gutter to the top of the roof is 13".

The side to side distance of the Grumman is 6'6", so I will slide 3/4" square tubing in each side to make it 10' across. I'll use poles on the two corners and stake them down.

So, what do you think? Strong enough? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Victor
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0733.JPG   IMG_0385.jpg   IMG_0387.jpg  
59 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote