Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #21
Almost There

In my mind I would think adding channels to the frame would be better than some contraption. Then no danger of anyone getting hurt raising an lowering or having it obstructing the emergency escape while driving.

Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Rear Deck

The guys at Van Life Conversions put this on the road recently.. (Jeff Flake)
Asheville, NC

Billy n NC
Attached Thumbnails
vanlife221.jpg   vanlife21.jpg  
Broachbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Well, that nicely solves the problem of seeing out the back ... by not caring that you can't see out the back. It's pretty funny that that's OP's exact idea brought to life (except for the direction of the boards, I guess).
Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Needs an umbrella.

It’s hard to tell from the photos, but some fail-safe locking mechanism that’s not a cable should be included.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Needs an umbrella.

It’s hard to tell from the photos, but some fail-safe locking mechanism that’s not a cable should be included.
Do you mean for the "up" or "down" position?

I'm sure the deck is pinned up -- it looks like the cable is flying loose in the up position.

It looks like there's a center support for the down position.
The cable itself is more than strong enough to hold the deck.

Personally, I want a ramp -- but if the ramp could also double as a deck looking as nice as this one that would be a huge party bonus!
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Yeah, in the up position.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
FYI- a treated 12' x 5/4 x 6 board will weigh just under 14lbs. The same board in composite is almost twice as heavy at 27.5lbs.
Almost 2x the weight as Marc pointed out.

They also require joists 12" OC instead of 16".

More eco friendly? I doubt it. Real wood is a very eco friendly material. It is a crop just like corn except that we harvest and replant every 30-40 years. Corn we get every year.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Pink bus deck: I think what is viewed as a support leg (in the up position) for use as the deck is a bike rack to haul bicycles. BUT I think 2 legs could/should be added as additional safety to just cables. ALSO, the deck looks like it is manually raised and lowered, pinned up, cables support deck lowered. I don't see reverse lights UNLESS they are incorporated into the brake/turn lights.

I think a hinged deck on the back of the bus is a great idea. You could do one like a toy hauler travel trailer/5th wheel using a winch of XXX capacity to raise and lower the deck to the ground for ramp use, raise from the ground for deck use, it could have adjustable legs to take pressure off the cables when set to deck height, it could have foldable or removeable rails for the perimeter, and a ladder or folding steps to reach the ground. A back up camera is almost a must/given. The deck for weight purposes could be made from new or reclaimed aluminum stadium bleacher seating. When up it should be pinned in place on both sides, have all the rear lighting for clearance, marker/parking/running lights, turn, brake, license plate, and reverse. OR the lighting for brake, turn, reverse, running lights could be cut into the bumper which would probably need to be moved back under the deck so it is flush with the deck when in the raised position.
Brain's 97 Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Elhart View Post
So I have an idea, and I like to think that nearly everything has a solution... so give me your thoughts @BlackJohn

I'd like to have a back deck on my bus as opposed to one on the roof so that my dog can hang out with me - I like to be outside, and I like to have her with me. (and I know I could bring a chair out onto the ground, but this is intriguing to me)

My thought is to have composite boards as a deck (I think they're lighter, and of course more eco) on the back of my bus with a winch to lower it level with the back door. I made (another) nifty image (I know, a very lame image), but hopefully it'll help me explain.

I realize I'll def need to have 1-2 boards that'll fold down/up to make sure the brake and turn signal lights are showing, plus I might want (or am required to?) have the windows exposed (even though I can't use them bc there will be walls in the way of my view?!)...

But that's why hinges were invented, right? Plus, I believe this would be more aerodynamic than a rooftop deck... better gas mileage but not the rooftop view... which might make it not worth it in the end. (I'm referring to boards 3, 5, and 7)

I'm just playing around with this idea... entertain me

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	38568

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	38569

Two arms swing out to support tailgate/deck....removable in case it gets damaged. A little easier to repair on a bench. Lights built into tailgate.

On another note, two of my friends dogs didn't care for walking on the mesh/expanded metal...I guess it freaked them out seeing the ground. They came through the front of the bus and were exiting through the rear.

You could also visit a trailer mfg co. and see how they do the large tailgates used on toy hauler utility trailers....
Old 08-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #30

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Chevy
Engine: 5.7L V8
Rated Cap: 5 window
I've been thinking of doing this exact thing.
rijono03 is offline   Reply With Quote