Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i wired the camera to the running lights, so its my rearview mirror as long as those lights are on, not just when in reverse.

a 7" screen is minimum..... bigger is better in a bus.
Thank you! We're planning on doing the same thing - I have a wee little 4x8 trailer we'll be pulling and I'll need to be able to see it! Although the one we're looking at (very limited budget now - we may be foraging for food on the move.....) is only a 4.3" screen.

We also have a blind spot to the right (the guy we bought it from put in an RV door - that isn't transparent!!) so we're looking at attaching a secondary camera so we can see that way for left turns, etc.

WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Back-up camera? PUHLEASE! Thats why I have 6 outside mirrors and one inside mirror. Besides, if I can back a 53' trailer from the inside of a 26.5' tractor without a back-up camera, a 40' bus is a lead pipe cinch.
The only reason we're getting one is because I have a wee little 4x8 foot trailer we'll be pulling and I need to be able to make sure it's still back there!! And the second one will be installed as a way to see the road to the right when making left-hand turns - the people we bought her from put in a regular RV door - makes a grand blind spot!

The set we're looking at is these 3 pieces - I'd love thoughts and opinions!

Monitor and Camera

Wireless transmitter

Second camera
Old 03-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Maybe I'm off base, but if you're backing up looking at the screen everything should be fine. When you're negotiating turns or changing lanes during forward movement at speed you would have to be driving and looking at that screen at the same time. Just my opinion but that doesn't sound safe. I'd put some windows in that door.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Maybe I'm off base, but if you're backing up looking at the screen everything should be fine. When you're negotiating turns or changing lanes during forward movement at speed you would have to be driving and looking at that screen at the same time. Just my opinion but that doesn't sound safe. I'd put some windows in that door.
It's only for making left hand turns from a full stop. Lane changes, etc. can be made with the rearview mirror.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #25
Bus Geek

I'll admit, sometimes it would be good to have another view while turning.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
I use one of the wireless $40 ones from ebay. 4.3" screen isn't bad, I use it on my motorhome to keep an eye on my bbq trailer. Can't see it behind me expect on real tight corners, I can tell by the camera if I have a flat tire. I have it mounted on a switch so I can use it anytime. Bus is definitely getting one soon.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I have a similar 4" and while an 8" screen would be nice,I sure wouldn't want to be without a rear view camera of some sort. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Looking at a monitor is no different than looking into a mirror.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Agreed, I was referring to forward movement with side cameras. While I agree having multiple cams would eliminate me running to the back of the bus to make sure I have clearance, I see cams as a distraction during forward movement. Most of us are quite accustomed to driving with mirrors which should be adequate for forward movement.
On the other hand if it helps you in even the littlest way, I'd go for it. You should be as comfortable and confident as possible while traveling. My neck doesn't turn much anymore so I say whatever helps any of us to keep going is a good thing and this is the place to discuss it.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
Our 2 camera system was a cheap ebay setup for like $50. The idea was to put them both on the top of the back of the bus, one pointing down at the bumper (our bumper is a 3 ft deck) and one pointing out straight at traffic. Turns out they pretty much do the exact same view, and the cheaper tinier camera was better quality than the other nightvision capable camera, so we just use the one. It gives us a view of the deck and generator and bikes as well as behind the bus and most of the blind spot. Eventually I'll disable the useless other camera and put one on each side of the bus near the driver area facing back down the sides. It really helps for switching lanes and also has the lines on the screen so we can back up within inches of something. It has been one of the best things we've done for ourselves.
I've thought about doing this to use them as side view mirrors. Does that sound feasible? Asking generally since you haven't done it yet. That way we'd have three monitors on the dash with real time video and no mirrors. The side view mirrors are huge and would probably save some gas if you took them off.
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #31
Bus Geek

If your cameras stopped working while on a trip you'd be in a bad way.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:01 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
I've thought about doing this to use them as side view mirrors. Does that sound feasible? Asking generally since you haven't done it yet. That way we'd have three monitors on the dash with real time video and no mirrors. The side view mirrors are huge and would probably save some gas if you took them off.
I would not advise you to do that for a number of reasons. Safety would be the first not to mention illegal on top of it. From what I know of the motor vehicle code, side mirrors are a must have.

Take my jeep for example. The doors can be off. however I have to put on side mirrors.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
Also I do not think that it would save anything on fuel.
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

The same idea shows up on concept cars periodically and they usually do it for fuel economy. It would probably help, though I wonder how much. Good point about it breaking, though you have generally the same problem with regular mirrors. If you catch it on something or someone hits you, you're SOL in that case too. I forgot about the legality side, that's pretty important. I wonder if the camera would cover the requirement. For passenger vehicles, you're only required to have one on the driver's side.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I've got SIX mirrors on the front of Brunhilde and the Kid's Department mirror inside. Not too many blind spots where I'm concerned.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:09 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Yeah, and mine are heated. No, not the inside one. That's something I never thought I'd have on a vehicle when I started driving.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #37
Bus Geek

I've backed into a few things when I first got this bus. Yeah a camera would be nice even in a car. It's getting pretty far off the KISS theory when there are lots of mirrors already on a bus.
Personally I'd like a holographic display that reflects off the front windshield when I'm backing up showing what's behind me. Actually I stopped backing into things after driving this forward control bus a few times.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiahdr View Post
Also I do not think that it would save anything on fuel.
Decided to look into this some more. I found this paper
http://papers.sae.org/920204/
and this article
Blog Post | What a Drag: Time to Get Rid of Outside Mirrors | Car Talk

Quote:
A study of big trucks (with really humongous mirrors) found they can add a whopping 10 percent to drag.
Quote:
Comparing the energy implications of the best to the worst mirrors, the estimated saving in fuel based on 150,000 km of annual driving, could amount to 800 L of diesel fuel or 1250 L of gasoline.