Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
Banned in the USA...

We plan on traveling next year but keep hearing stories of School bus conversions being turned away or not allowed to park in their campground. I guess its because they are trying to attract the high end newer RV's and maybe associate school bus conversions with Hippies or Gypsies or some other non-sense reason. Anyone experience this prejudice while traveling. We plan on going on the backroads and primarily thru Missouri, Nebraska, South & North Dakota and Iowa...

scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

I’m interested in this thread.
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I dunno, there's been a few people here who've mentioned it not being a problem. I imagine skoolies might be banned at the high end campgrounds, but personally we'd rather avoid them anyway. We don't necessarily want to be camped next to people with giant outdoor televisions and whatever. We're way more inclined to boondock or camp in public lands, national forest and state campgrounds.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
when I was checking out places to spend the winter, there where parks in Florida that didn't want us, in the pan handle there was a few places that had no problem, I have emailed places in Arizona and Texas, some said ok, some wanted pictures of the bus , others was you could stay but only for a few days, most places said ok. its hit and miss, if the economy tanks, and so one is travelling , I'm sure any park would let you in.
I think if you are planning on stay in one park for a week or two I would call ahead.
We are planning on doing mostly boondocking , including Quartzsite
gbstewart
Old 11-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I have been turned away from a number of private RV parks. I was traveling in a newly converted Eagle 10. It was not because it was a bus but because it was 16 years old.

I found quite a number of private parks, mostly in CA & NV, that had rules banning RVs over a certain age.

I also found a number of private parks that turned me away because of the weight of my Golden Retriever. No dogs over a certain weight.....

I have never had any issue at public parks or campgrounds.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoolbus1 View Post
We plan on traveling next year but keep hearing stories of School bus conversions being turned away or not allowed to park in their campground. I guess its because they are trying to attract the high end newer RV's and maybe associate school bus conversions with Hippies or Gypsies or some other non-sense reason. Anyone experience this prejudice while traveling. We plan on going on the backroads and primarily thru Missouri, Nebraska, South & North Dakota and Iowa...

The most logical reason I can think of, aside from the obvious aesthetics and clientele concerns, is safety. Consider that a factory-built RV meets electrical, plumbing, and other health and safety codes, they have stickers certifying this. If it burns down through no fault of the campground and RV owner, there is recourse with the manufacturer. Now consider someone's homebuilt schoolie conversion, which may or may not have been built to whatever arbitrary code (and usually none at all, most of us do not have building code inspections done). Now, granted, most of us do the work properly and up to safety and codes, but not everyone does and how is a campground to know the difference? Let a schoolie burn down (and I hope it doesn't), who's accountable then?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
There are pre-existing threads on this. I have spent several months on the road and no major problems. But some places say no. Anything run by government doesn’t discriminate, as long as they have room. Plenty of others are fine too.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
There are pre-existing threads on this. I have spent several months on the road and no major problems. But some places say no. Anything run by government doesn’t discriminate, as long as they have room. Plenty of others are fine too.

I really appreciate this simplification, thank you! [emoji120]
Rogue1bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
The main problem is that the people telling you those stories are probably gypsies or hippies and people actually don’t want them at the campground. if you have a nice school bus conversion that looks like an RV you will have no problem getting into a campground.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:46 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
This is what campgrounds don't want to see-

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: P30
Engine: Cummins 4BT 3.9
Rated Cap: Full load of Frito Lay Ch
Reason to be turned away

If Scoolbus1 gets turned away from an RV Park, it will be due to jelousy.
Pizzarco43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
RV Resorts certainly gear toward higher end RVs - some require motorhomes to be RVIA certified and / or no more than 10 years old. Any county, state or national park with gladly accept your Skoolie.
Many independent Campgrounds have given no issues. It's mostly KOA type RV Resorts.
I was turned away from an upscale RV Resort in Florida and one in Virginia. Both had RVs lined up like a parking lot - so there was little space between campsites. I didn't really want to stay there - and find really nice state and county parks with better locations, views, and campers.
I have also found some great BLM free boondock camping in really beautiful areas.
But that's just me - some really like the repost style camping. So, it will depend on what you want. But never trust a place that does not welcome Skoolies .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8120.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	27602
Old 11-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #13

Hell to the yeah. Who needs snobs. Apparently they know nothing about hippies real rv's suck lol sorry. Takes a real man and woman to build a SCHOOLIE. 😎
Old 11-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Roger's answer is gospel on this one.