Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Bare minimum gear for riveting?

I need to rivet some patches on my bus. I was planning to use my crappy Harbor Freight hand-riveter but I realized I'm not going to have the arm strength for doing that. What's a good rivet gun/air compressor combo that will do the job (I might have to put in a few hundred 1/4" rivets all told) without being super-expensive? I'm willing to consider Harbor Freight's own offerings although their stuff is certainly questionable.

What's a good source for rivets?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've got a $70 Harbor freight pneumatic riveter that's worked pretty decently. Its a big improvement over hand riveting.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've got a $70 Harbor freight pneumatic riveter that's worked pretty decently. Its a big improvement over hand riveting.
This one? https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...ter-62685.html I was wondering what the difference is between that and the "professional" one (which is like twice as much).

Did you also get an HF compressor? I saw an AvE video recently where he talks about how the manufacturers basically outright lie about the capacity of compressors so I'm extra-uncertain about which to get.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
This one? https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...ter-62685.html I was wondering what the difference is between that and the "professional" one (which is like twice as much).

Did you also get an HF compressor? I saw an AvE video recently where he talks about how the manufacturers basically outright lie about the capacity of compressors so I'm extra-uncertain about which to get.
I borrow a friends' compressor. Its a cheapo but its powerful enough and has a 60 gal tank.

When I got my riveter they had one for like $40 that did rivets up to 3/16 and one for $70 that did up to 1/4. The one you linked looks like the one I've got but painted black instead of teal blue.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
The one you linked is the one I use also. I tapped into my air brake system rather than get a separate compressor, which is good for most low and medium flow tools (riveter, drill, metal shears, air chisel, etc). I've done hundreds of rivets on my bus.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Retractable hose reel mounted behind the rear wheel37344655.jpg
Old 06-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Do you want to do solid bucked rivets or blind rivets?

For solid rivets I've been quite happy with a Chicago Pneumatic 4X rivet gun. It hammers the head of the rivet while an assistant holds a bucking bar on the other side. (I picked a 3 pound bar)

For blind aka Pop rivets I've used a HF pneumatic unit similar/same as the one mentioned by ECCB. I finally broke the jaw inside the riveter -- it's a two-piece cast part and fractured. I've welded that little piece back together a couple of times now.. Apart from this the HF tool has worked well for me.

Air demand for the HF tool isn't too bad -- more than what an air nailer requires, I guess, but you could probably get along even with a pancake compressor. The CP gun for solid rivets is a regular (large) air chisel and takes more air.

I've bought both solid and blind rivets from Hanson Rivet and from Jay-Cee Sales aka rivetsonline.com or rivetsinstock.com.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: still looking for my bus
"Air demand for the HF tool isn't too bad -- more than what an air nailer requires, I guess, but you could probably get along even with a pancake compressor. The CP gun for solid rivets is a regular (large) air chisel and takes more air."

an air tool should have the cubic feet per minute ( cfm ) at 90 lbs +/- listed on it's instructions - when buying a compressor, if it doesn't list cfm @ what ever lbs, and instead says it's a 3 horse power, or 5 gal tank, it's not likely to do the job - get a compressor that's rated to do the job of allowing the air tool in question to do it's job - if a tool requires 20 cfm @ 90 lbs, then buy, rent, or borrow a compressor that is capable of handling at least that load
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
Bus Nut

So I bought a 1/4 pneumatic riveter at HF: https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...ter-62685.html

According to this it needs 4.5 CFM at 90 PSI, so I'm trying to figure out what compressor to get to go with it. If I get something that's not rated quite that high, what are the consequences? Will the riveter not work at all or will I just have to wait longer after each rivet for the tank to re-pressurize?

I'm trying to spend the bare minimum on a compressor since I'm not planning on doing an enormous amount of riveting (I'll need to do maybe 250 rivets in total).

I found a good Dewalt one on craigslist that is something like 5.1 SCFM, but the seller says the pressure gauge is set at 120 PSI and can't be changed - I'm not sure how bad that is, but seems like a bad idea (this particular model sells new for $380 or so and it's selling for $125).
Old 06-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

I feel like the obvious answer is what I outlined above. Your bus already has a compressor, and you don't sound like you're planning to use tools that need more juice than it can deliver. I for sure wouldn't spend the extra money on another compressor and then have to figure out how to power it, where to store it, etc.