Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Bath tub Idea and roof insulation.

Hello all!

I have a couple of questions one rather ambitious idea.
In order for my wife to even consider living in a skoolie, she needs a bath tub. Now I wondered if it would be possible to sink the tub into the floor of the bus so that it could be covered up when not in use and thus save floor space? I'm prepared for this to take some serious cutting and welding but I'm unsure if it would cause to much of an issue with the frame of the bus?

Secondly how does insulating the roof of the bus work? I am worried about screwing into the roof from the inside can causing leaks.

thanks!

Jack.

Jakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

The roof has an inner and outer skin, with structural hat channel in between. Most owners who want to insulate, remove the inner skin, insulate and install the old or new ceiling.

Many bathtubs have gone into skoolies. The tub would probably have to sit on the floor. There are crossmembers that run between the frame that would have to be removed. I suppose you could cut the cross embers and weld in new ones to sit low enough to sink the tub. A tub is really only practically used in RV parks, while your hooked up to water, electric and sewer. Using a tub designed for RVs will save you some weight.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
What a cool idea to sink it into the floor. I used to bath in a trough we plumbed into an attice space. It was delightfully deep and since it was shorter than the regularly absurdly too long conventional bathtubs, it was nice to have the side as a backrest.

Those are 36" deep though, but wow what a wonderful soak the lady and i could get *grin*

Those days have long passed now.

I wonder if half sunk with a wooden cover might work as well...hmmm

Good luck with the tub, i think it's a cool idea.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Don't forget... Water is 8.33 pounds per gallon, and it adds up quick!
5 gallon bucket is 41.65 pounds

My body mass equals 34 gallons.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Hey Jak,

Here's a picture for you.

from La Casita Bus (around picture #152)

I totally feel you, my wife says the same thing and I have scratched my head a lot trying to figure out a way to do it realistically. Logistically it's just not going to happen in our modest 30ft bus. Not just for space but because I don't think it is practical for my wife to take a 70 gallon bath out of our 60 gallon water tank on daily to weekly basis, I don't want to spend a thousand dollars+ on a decent on demand water heater, nor do I want to ensure I have an electrical system able to support such high wattage (though I think there are propane heaters). I also do not want that to drain into our grey water tank afterward. It's just not going to happen in this current conversion. I am not heartless though, I will get her a gym membership somewhere that has baths or something like that.

I am eventually going to build her a beast bathhouse out of a trailer after I finish my conversion. This will be specifically for the purpose of her taking a nice bath. I would eventually like to put a garage door on the bathhouse so if we're somewhere cool she can enjoy the scenery out of the bath. I don't know if I will use a conventional bath, but I have heard of people making baths with chest freezers due to their high insulating properties, and I like that idea. My Japanese wife definitely will need a highly insulated bath so she can take a nice long bath (which gives me more time to get work done). The bathhouse itself will also be insulated very heavily so she can have a sauna to roll around in after taking a bath. If this bath needs a 3000 watt space heater, I will get a generator to burn as much gas as necessary for my wifes comfort however this is all a second priority to the bus conversion, first we must move into the bus.

I believe you can do it, however I am one bitter Betsy about the idea of a bus.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote