Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Bathroom next to queen bed

I am trying to finalize my floor plan.

I would like to put a queen bed in the back with a toilet room next to it. There would be a wall between the two.

On paper, it looks doable. inside wall to wall is 90". I would have 63" (a mattress is 60") width for the bed, a two inch wall, 24" wide bathroom, and an inch to spare.

My concern is that if I miscalculated anything or am forgetting something, I will have less than a 2' wide bathroom, which is pretty much as narrow as I can go.

Have you seen anyone make this work?

When you went from plans on paper to boards in the bus, how accurate or far off were your plans? How many inches should I leave to spare?
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/i-...bus-12296.html
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Well, I have this friend who keeps on visiting... his name is Murphy...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Well, I have this friend who keeps on visiting... his name is Murphy...
And Murphy says it will be No Problem? Great!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
sounds about right. Im doing a full XL mattress (54")with a bathroom at 30" with a 2.5 inch wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180620_201834.jpg (195.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Why does everyone make their walls like they're in a house? Framing a divider wall with studs makes no sense in a bus. You can either use a 3/4"-thick door cut down to size (cheap and easy), or what I'm doing is to use 1/2" marine ply with 1/8" Celtek board on either side. My walls are therefore all 3/4" thick, secured into 3/4"-internal width 6063 aluminum channel that's attached to the floor, side walls and ceiling. Doing it this way has saved me 5.25" of internal space for the three divider walls on each side compared to being made with studs. Those walls don't need to be hollow because all the power and plumbing will be inside chases in the side walls.

Think outside the box! When planning the interior, especially in a school bus with only about 7.5 feet internal width, you MUST save every inch, or even a fraction of an inch, wherever you can. I spent literally weeks obsessing over how to mount my side walls' paneling so it would save 3/4" of total space from my original idea. Every little bit helps.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
It does make sense if i have a large stack of 2x3's and need to build stuff. There is no right or wrong way to do this. I have the luxury of not needing worry about the space as much as you do apparently, and it's not a MUST to save every fraction of an inch possible. I didn't buy a bus to worry like that. I had enough space that i added a garage space in the back and even expanded the area towards the front of my bus to give more space than my initial design.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Why does everyone make their walls like they're in a house? Framing a divider wall with studs makes no sense in a bus. You can either use a 3/4"-thick door cut down to size (cheap and easy), or what I'm doing is to use 1/2" marine ply with 1/8" Celtek board on either side. My walls are therefore all 3/4" thick, secured into 3/4"-internal width 6063 aluminum channel that's attached to the floor, side walls and ceiling. Doing it this way has saved me 5.25" of internal space for the three divider walls on each side compared to being made with studs. Those walls don't need to be hollow because all the power and plumbing will be inside chases in the side walls.

John
Side to side, that would only save me an inch and a quarter.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post

Think outside the box! When planning the interior, especially in a school bus with only about 7.5 feet internal width, you MUST save every inch, or even a fraction of an inch, wherever you can. I spent literally weeks obsessing over how to mount my side walls' paneling so it would save 3/4" of total space from my original idea. Every little bit helps.

John
John, I like the idea of using a cut down door, and will likely use that approach for the two small walls in my bus. In fact you consistently provide value added feedback here, and I (and I'm sure others) appreciate your input.

However, telling your fellow forum members what we "MUST" do, may create barriers to folks taking your valuable advice.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
In your description you said toilet room then later bathroom. Is it just for toilet or toilet and shower or toilet, shower and sink? Even with just a toilet 24 inches seems just too small. This picture is of me standing in front of a cabinet that is 24 inches wide.(outside dimensions)

Make a mock up of a couple of walls and sit a chair in it and see how it feels. Most public toilet stalls are 30".
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I've got a full-sized bed (between twin and queen) mounted longitudinally. The composting toilet is at the foot of the bed (no walls yet) right next to the e-door..
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote