Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
Home Depot bucket for me. 6 months in, no problems.
Just thinkin' out loud here. How much does a Homer's orange toilet cost? And the lid? How much is pet bedding if you can't find free sawdust that day?

Eco, it ain't. But it couldn't cost all that much to use the crap-n-cover method, then just bang that tight fitting lid on, huck it into the dumpster behind Mickey D's, and buy a fresh toilet.

dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Just thinkin' out loud here. How much does a Homer's orange toilet cost? And the lid? How much is pet bedding if you can't find free sawdust that day?

Eco, it ain't. But it couldn't cost all that much to use the crap-n-cover method, then just bang that tight fitting lid on, huck it into the dumpster behind Mickey D's, and buy a fresh toilet.

Buckets are $3.99. I use walnut cat litter, $15.49 a bag, lasts me 3 weeks or so. I double bag and remove twice a week, so bag cost is negligible. I put the double bagged waste in with my household trash and put it in my outdoor trashcan for the guys to pick up. On the road I would just toss it in a dumpster somewhere. The seat was $25. I guess you could toss, but I give my bucket a good wipe down with a Clorox wipe when I change bags and then spray it with Lysol and let it air for about an hour.
I am currently getting my bathroom built out by Dredman and will have a regular toilet seat on top of plywood lid.
I really don't notice any odor. But I also use a good scoop of litter every time. And I'm very happy with my current method and don't have plans on changing it. We are going to try to figure out how to incorporate a urine diverter.
Sandi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Bucket management

Quote:
huck it into the dumpster behind Mickey D's.
If I'm around Mickey D's, or any other fast food joints, I'm sure going to use their facilities.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:

While you are behind the dumpster, that's a pretty good source of free buckets. Lots of places toss out buckets. May have to buy lids if you needed them, but buckets are like pallets... They are sitting and waiting free somewhere!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
I use walnut cat litter, $15.49 a bag, lasts me 3 weeks or so.............. We are going to try to figure out how to incorporate a urine diverter.
Sandi

We are using pet bedding from the local Co-op. We bought a $9 bag of "White pine shavings" in November. I expect to have to buy another next month.

I line the bucket with 13 gallon bin liners from the supermarket (80 for $5).

With two of us using it we empty once a week for about $0.12 per dump.

I used the following urine diverter: Kildwick Kompact Urine Separator/Diverter for Compost Toilet/Off-Grid | eBay

I placed a $2 automotive funnel under the urine diverter outlet and plumbed that through the floor to a jug that is in the baggage compartment below the bathroom. With this arrangement the lid, including the diverter, cna be lifted without unhooking anything.

Have fun!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #66
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
We have a 5 gallon bucket within a nice wood enclosure that we place a black heavy duty garbage in and then the pellet type cat litter...does the job and no Black water to deal with or plumbing issues...
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #67
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
We are using pet bedding from the local Co-op. We bought a $9 bag of "White pine shavings" in November. I expect to have to buy another next month.

I line the bucket with 13 gallon bin liners from the supermarket (80 for $5).

With two of us using it we empty once a week for about $0.12 per dump.

I used the following urine diverter: Kildwick Kompact Urine Separator/Diverter for Compost Toilet/Off-Grid | eBay

I placed a $2 automotive funnel under the urine diverter outlet and plumbed that through the floor to a jug that is in the baggage compartment below the bathroom. With this arrangement the lid, including the diverter, cna be lifted without unhooking anything.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tip sand the link!

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Good idea on putting the collector under the floor! You don't necessarily need a baggage compartment either; easy to rig something to the frame or whatnot. I don't know but I'm guessing that we wouldn't need to worry about the freezing point of urine.

That would also make it easier to facilitate a urinal as well; it could just as easily be plumbed into the collector. I was envisioning a large funnel on the wall with a hinged lid. There are some guys who just don't want to sit down to pee, and I'm not going to make them sign a loyalty oath when they get in the bus. There is a fitting I've seen mentioned on this forum somewhere that has some sort of liquid that doesn't mix with water in it and acts as a miniature P-trap and odor eliminator for this purpose.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Wouldn't a bit of cooking oil float to the surface and block odors?

Can you visualize a release control at the front of the bus that dumps the urine? Great for those drivers that follow to close.

Even portapotties have a urine funnel these days.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Wouldn't a bit of cooking oil float to the surface and block odors?

Can you visualize a release control at the front of the bus that dumps the urine? Great for those drivers that follow to close.

Even portapotties have a urine funnel these days.

Have you ever been behind someone who's windshield washer pump worked WAY too well? Hmmmm.....

Pump, nozzles (for the back bumper) , some hose and a switch for the dash....

Do you think a 1hp pump would be adequate?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #71
Bus Geek

That would be a more efficient use of urine. I hate those small cars that try to draft behind the bus while on the highway.

Remember, you can make potassium nitrate from your urine to make gunpowder. I'm not suggesting onboard cannons, but you could get rid of other solids that way.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #72
Bus Geek

[QUOTE=Robin97396;192294 I'm not suggesting onboard cannons,[/QUOTE]

Why not? I think every Skoolie should have one....
Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #73
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
If I'm around Mickey D's, or any other fast food joints, I'm sure going to use their facilities.
Getting rid of a full bucket and getting rid of a full bladder are 2 different problems.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Agreed.

I don't want a bucket of shat in the back of my bus. If I'm boondocking I'm out in the woods. If I'm in town there's Micky D's, Carlose Junior, Burgerqueen, Wallymart and more. Still, there are times...
Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #75

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid-Bus
Engine: 6.6L Duramax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC Bus View Post
Deftone ....
I was never sold on composting toilets! 😳 It was more for the handling over people waste matter. Secondly because I am 6'4.5" with long legs. Third my Large girth (My fluffiness). Fourth my disability with my legs (shaky walking) and finally MY WIFE.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Look into the Laveo Dry Flush. That's what I am planning on going with. There's no water involved. It uses a foil bag to essentially let gravity pull it down to be twisted off and compressed upon flush. The toilet itself runs about $600 and the cartridges come in a pack of 3 with about 15-20 flushes each for ~$30. When you run out of foil real estate, a large garbage bag can be pulled over the top to cinch the cartridge off where it can be discarded like a normal piece of waste. For me, it's worth it to not have to empty the composting toilet. It might work for you.
AndrewKingPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
really???? wouldnt a simple explanation of the trap emptying be sufficient and not the demeaning nature of this message?? we are all here to learn not be slammed for asking a question about using a residential toilet...

-Christopher
I'm a slow learner, so I for one would not be offended by being shaken by the collar.
nicolasuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #77

How about a propane toilet? Check out the cinderella toilet, made in Norway.
nicolasuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #78
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasuribe View Post
How about a propane toilet? Check out the cinderella toilet, made in Norway.
We call those "turdburners".

I considered one before I went with a "composting" toilet. After much research and discussion with my neighbor, who has one, I decided that the logistics of installing one in an RV and the propane cost I decided that I would be better served with a composting toilet.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #79
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Quote:
Have you ever been behind someone who's windshield washer pump worked WAY too well? Hmmmm.....

Pump, nozzles (for the back bumper) , some hose and a switch for the dash....

Do you think a 1hp pump would be adequate?
Hmm, the cowl hood that was on my S10 repositioned the squirters so it arced into the bed rather than on the windshield. I've also used the combination of powerful squirters and open sunroof. RainX windshield washer fluid tastes bad.

You could inject it into the exhaust, homebrew Adblue!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #80
Skoolie

Quote:
Why not? I think every Skoolie should have one....
You guys are killing me!

If you're squeamish, you might want to just skip the rest of this post...

I've been back and forth on the black tank/composting fence. Dealing with waste isn't going to be especially pleasant no matter what I do - hubby has Crohn's Disease, daughter has Vesicouretal Reflux, and there will be 5 of us on the bus for the first year. Without going into too much detail, that means a regimen of stool softeners, fiber, probiotics, and fluids. Bathroom use is frequent and the resulting waste is not especially solid. There are times when it's just not possible to wait until the next McD's or Starbucks, and hubby is super picky about the cleanliness of public restrooms anyway! I'm not too keen on making daily stops at a dump station, but I'm not sure the compost could keep up with it. Otoh, I remember school janitors dumping some sort of sawdust like stuff on vomit when I was in elementary school and that seemed to deal with the smell pretty effectively. What is that stuff??? Would it be totally weird to mix it in with the compost? (No one judge me by my search history, k?)

I think when it comes right down to it, we're just going to have to set up the bucket at home and see how bad it really is.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote