Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
You guys are killing me!

If you're squeaming, you might want to just skip the rest of this post...

I've been back and forth on the black tank/composting fence. Dealing with waste isn't going to be especially pleasant no matter what I do - hubby has Crohn's Disease, daughter has Vesicouretal Reflux, and there will be 5 of us on the bus for the first year. Without going into too much detail, that means a regimen of stool softeners, fiber, probiotics, and fluids. Bathroom use is frequent and the resulting waste is not especially solid. There are times when it's just not possible to wait until the next McD's or Starbucks, and hubby is super picky about the cleanliness of public restrooms anyway! I'm not too keen on making daily stops at a dump station, but I'm not sure the compost could keep up with it. Otoh, I remember school janitors dumping some sort of sawdust like stuff on vomit when I was in elementary school and that seemed to deal with the smell pretty effectively. What is that stuff??? Would it be totally weird to mix it in with the compost? (No one judge me by my search history, k?)

I think when it comes right down to it, we're jsut going to have to set up the bucket at home and see how bad it really is.
I think I can, to a limited extent, relate to your circumstance. I have been battling GI issues for the last 18 months that have resulted in some serious bouts of severe diarrhea. As far as the composting toilet goes, I use less cover material and have to dump less often when I have those bouts than when things are more "normal".

If you do a "test drive" I would recommend that you include a urine diverter. It makes a big difference. Myself, I would not consider a "one bucket" approach unless I could empty it daily.

Good luck!!

S.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #82
Skoolie

That is really useful to know!

A urine diverter was already in the plans - I was going to give this one a try: RandomThoughts on Triloboats, sailboats & Kung Fu: December 2013

My sister's boyfriend donated the two buckets and a toilet seat that were left over from a job site, so I should have just about everything I need.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysty View Post
That is really useful to know!

A urine diverter was already in the plans - I was going to give this one a try: RandomThoughts on Triloboats, sailboats & Kung Fu: December 2013

My sister's boyfriend donated the two buckets and a toilet seat that were left over from a job site, so I should have just about everything I need.
Awesome How-to on the urine diverter. Thank you for sharing that.

S.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #84
Mini-Skoolie

A very simple DIY version is described here (scroll to about halfway down the page for the section called The Composting Toilet):

Truck Camper Design and Build: First I built a canopy camper

Note that she used coconut coir rather than wood chips or cat litter to mix with #2. From what I've read at various nomad blogs, most people seem to prefer the coir over other choices.
Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #85
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
A very simple DIY version is described here (scroll to about halfway down the page for the section called The Composting Toilet):

Truck Camper Design and Build: First I built a canopy camper

Note that she used coconut coir rather than wood chips or cat litter to mix with #2. From what I've read at various nomad blogs, most people seem to prefer the coir over other choices.
I tried coir before settling on fine pine shavings. I VERY MUCH prefer the pine. The only downside is that it requires more storage space than compact coir blocks. The good side is that you don't have to expand the block.

One bundle of pine lasts me several months.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #86
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I tried coir before settling on fine pine shavings. I VERY MUCH prefer the pine. The only downside is that it requires more storage space than compact coir blocks. The good side is that you don't have to expand the block.
IIRC, she did day somewhere in her blog that she appreciated how compact the blocks of coir are - since she is in truck campers with very limited space. But she also says it doesn't stink at all!

I have been reading a ton of nomad blogs and it seemed that, in most of them, coir usually wins over other materials people have tried -- but of course I could be mis-remembering and I haven't read every blog there is! Isn't there also some consideration about some organic materials attracting bugs more than others (when stored)?

Somewhere along the line, I found a blog where someone tested and reviewed a variety of materials for this purpose, and it was really interesting. However, I'm not sure if I ever bookmarked it.

Eh, I know I also came across a few people who said they just poop on a newspaper and then toss! No need to bother with too much fuss, I suppose!
Nomadiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadiana View Post
IIRC, she did day somewhere in her blog that she appreciated how compact the blocks of coir are - since she is in truck campers with very limited space. But she also says it doesn't stink at all!

I have been reading a ton of nomad blogs and it seemed that, in most of them, coir usually wins over other materials people have tried -- but of course I could be mis-remembering and I haven't read every blog there is! Isn't there also some consideration about some organic materials attracting bugs more than others (when stored)?

Somewhere along the line, I found a blog where someone tested and reviewed a variety of materials for this purpose, and it was really interesting. However, I'm not sure if I ever bookmarked it.

Eh, I know I also came across a few people who said they just poop on a newspaper and then toss! No need to bother with too much fuss, I suppose!

No misunderstanding, I read the same blogs that extolled the virtues of coco. That is the reason I tried it. I personally did not like it. Others do.

I tried:

Cabinet shop waste sawdust: They cu a lot of MDF along with plywood and hardwoods. The MDF glue causes a smell that I don't like.

Pete moss: It was messy and did not cover well.

Coco: Compressed blocks are TINY compared to the volume you get when you expand it. Storage of large quantities in the compressed block takes little space. BUT.... You have to put it in a tub and add water then break up the block and get it all hydrated. Then you have a large bin of damp material that you use for cover. It has a tiny bit of musty smell. It takes more coco to cover than sawdust. What really bugged my was that it was always damp and did not cover odors like the pine shavings.

Pine shavings (fine): Dry, easy to handle. A 2 cu.ft. bundle lasts me for several months and costs less than coco. Covers well. Reduces odor well.

I would encourage you to try different materials and see which one suits you best.

Myself, I will stick with the pine shavings.

Just remember to move the bucket handle to the side when you dump the bucket.......
Old 07-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #88
Bus Geek

Another interesting method/device....

I saw an "alternative" that I will call the "seal-a-meal" potty. You make your deposit into a plastic bag then push a button and it heat seals the end of your specially wrapped deposit. Kind of a novel idea but the bags are expensive and if you run out there is no work around.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #89
Skoolie

I read all sorts of reviews of various compost materials as well, and yes, the coco coir seems to be the most recommended option. As compact as the little bricks are, I wasn't keen on mixing up a whole bucket full just to test it out, so I picked up a bag of "Eco Earth Loose Cocunut Fiber Substrate" from the pet store instead. It is dry (not damp at all), and has a slightly earthy smell when you put your nose right next to it - definitely not a strong odor.

I sprinkle a paper cupful into the toilet after doing my business, and it seems to completely handle any smells, so I can't complain. Admittedly, the bag of loose substrate is bulkier and more expensive than the compressed brick, but it is super convenient and effective, so I guess you just have to figure out what works best for you.
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote