Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2019, 02:14 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Hager City WI
Posts: 27
Year: 1996
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mechanical spicer 6+1
Rated Cap: 65
Batteries

Hey I was wondering I have 2 big batteries to start and run my dt 466. I am considering of buying a 3rd but am also looking for a maintainer as well. I have a few questions tho.

1. If I buy a third battery, is it okay to just buy one and wire it with the others, or would it be best just to buy 3 brand new ones?

2. How big of a maintainer should I get, I heard it's better to charge them slower, but don't know if that is true?

3. Recently tried to start the bus without it plugged in in 10 degree weather (STUPID) and had drained the batteries, is there a decent jump starter out there that could provide that much power without breaking the bank?

Thanks!
alexzckary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,733
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzckary View Post
Hey I was wondering I have 2 big batteries to start and run my dt 466. I am considering of buying a 3rd but am also looking for a maintainer as well. I have a few questions tho.

1. If I buy a third battery, is it okay to just buy one and wire it with the others, or would it be best just to buy 3 brand new ones?

2. How big of a maintainer should I get, I heard it's better to charge them slower, but don't know if that is true?

3. Recently tried to start the bus without it plugged in in 10 degree weather (STUPID) and had drained the batteries, is there a decent jump starter out there that could provide that much power without breaking the bank?

Thanks!
I had a mechanical DT. It would start at 10f with one battery.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
TJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Rapid City, SD
Posts: 317
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Best to get a battery charger on them ASAP so they don't freeze. Discharged batteries will freeze if it gets cold enough. If you cant get to the bus with an extension cord pull the batteries out and get them to where you can charge them. I not aware of any jumper pack large enough to start a bus.

If using the correct size battery for you bus 2 should be all the battery you need for starting. If you are wanting more capacity for house loads build a separate bank with deep cycle batteries.


Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,286
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
My opinion (some may disagree), you should replace your start batteries as a group. A worn out battery will bring down a fresh one and will decrease the lifespan of both. Since they're only being used for starting the bus, you don't need to go crazy. A couple cheap Group 27 or Group 31, you can even go deep cycle and still get them around $100 each. That's plenty of power to start a bus that doesn't have other issues. If your bus is hard to start, you should address that problem instead of trying to mask it with massive batteries.
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,633
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
To my knowledge or lack thereof, deep cycle batteries are not starting batteries. Not for cold weather starts.



John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
brokedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: St Petersburg, FL
Posts: 2,286
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
To my knowledge or lack thereof, deep cycle batteries are not starting batteries. Not for cold weather starts.
John

Deep cycle batteries are just regular batteries that are able to be drained down a bit farther before they get damaged. They're great for starting batteries especially in cold environments where the voltage drop due to temperature kicks in. You would be hard pressed to find a boat or a bus that didn't use a deep cycle for its starting battery!
__________________
Keep up with us and our build!
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,374
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
There is a significant difference between deep cycle batteries and starting batteries.

The number of plates and the thickness of the plates.

If you go to Walmart and look at "marine/deep cycle" they are not a true deep cycle but a hybrid. A compromise between starting and deep cycle.

True deep cycle batteries are not suitable for starting batteries.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,633
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
There is a significant difference between deep cycle batteries and starting batteries.

The number of plates and the thickness of the plates.

If you go to Walmart and look at "marine/deep cycle" they are not a true deep cycle but a hybrid. A compromise between starting and deep cycle.

True deep cycle batteries are not suitable for starting batteries.

I'll go with this having 2 diesel vehicles and a boat with twin turbo-diesels.


John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,342
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
My Dt466E has no problem starting on the single battery, why need 3?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,374
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
My e450 cutaway had 2 group 27's. My Eagle and my Bluebird both came with 3 group 31's.

I have done some work on other buses that had 2 8D starting batteries. Much bigger battery than a group 27 or 31.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.